This chapter is dedicated to GaganaSree, She is amazing. Check out her book, 'Adobe at the rim of darkness' It is a great book. I am damn sure you will love Carol.

Amber and Chase (3)

Amber Vozenilek

‘Ever felt alone, lonely, like everybody hates you, then you turn to your family, and think at least they love me.’

In my case, I just realized that my own sister, my twin loathes me. She despises every bit of my being, and I don't think that I will ever be able to forgive myself for what I have done to her.

I never thought of hurting Barry, she loved him but he was using her. He used to abuse her, hurt her. I couldn't withstand that, she is my family. I recollect the day when I touched Barry, a series of images of people dying, suffering came drifting into my mind. So, I told Zara but she refused to believe it.

One day, I peeked into their room,  just to ensure that she was safe. The sight still makes me shiver with apprehension, the thing that scared me more was the fact that Zara was giving her blood willingly. So, I freaked out and bust into the room. Barry tried to attack me as well but Dad managed to come in time and save us both. Zara was unconscious for 4 days.

I keep telling myself that what I did was right but then there is a piece of me that rejects to acknowledge it.

I clutch the forbidden book to my chest, walking towards the cafeteria. No one is supposed to be here now, It's 8:30 pm, students don't usually go there now. I walk into the room, taking the table that stands at the corner. I stare at its beautifully crafted ceiling.

‘When I die will anybody miss me?’

An irritable notion kicks into my mind, like a drug trying to poison my positivity, I lean backward, resting my head on the wooden surface of the chair, tears soon crawl out of my eyes, ‘Why the bloody hell am I so sensitive? I wish I could ignore all the things that weaken me.’

Am.” A familiar voice interrupts me from drowning in my ocean of pain. I sniff, pulling myself into a decent position, From the corner of my eyes peer at Chase, who has a smile drawn over his face. I swirl, turning my back towards him, I rub my hand roughly over my face, to clean the stain off my face.

“Amber.” He says softly, placing his hand over my shoulder. “Um, is everything okay?”

I turn around and sniff, Chase's eyebrows raise, before he could say anything, I avert his attention, “I read his book, ” I pat on the cover of the book, “-not completely, of course.” I gaze at him, his eyes stay focused on me, His lips press to a line. I look at the book and continue, “It appears that this book is sort of the Abbington's family heirloom.”

“Amber, ” He cuts me off, I look at him, “Do you mind if I sit here?” He points towards the chair beside me,  I shake my head, and move my chair a bit. He sits on the chair and sighs, “Yeah, so what were you   saying?”

“This book has the names of all the Abbingtons, starting from Delphin to the last one.” I try to recall the name but fail, “I forget the name, anyways, ”

I continue, “It looks like, they had their own everything, When you are possessed by any Abbingtons, you will have shimmering green eyes, which contradicts the usual possession, where you have black eyes. ”

“Damn.”

“Yeah, you won't believe it, they have like two hundred servants, they have this tattoo which is meant to give the message that they belong to the Abbington's.” I grab the book and open the page where this information was written. Placing it on the table,  I point at the picture of the mark, “This mark will also deliver their souls to ‘de igne. Even after their death, the power from their soul is used to harness the power.” I shrug at the condition of the servants, their lives were pathetic, even after their death they wouldn't get any peace.

Chase leans towards the table, placing his arm over the table, “So, this mark is like a tag. ” He observes the mark and shrugs, “You put tags on things, how can anyone do this. Servants are human too, they deserve to be treated with some respect.” I smile at him, ‘He is so kind.’

I agree, ” I say turning back to the book, “Those guys were monsters. They treated us like we didn't matter. Sacrificed people in stupid rituals, killed people to feed on their hearts. All of this just for being powerful.”

“Sons of bitches.” He curses running his hand through his hair.

“I have a theory,” I confess.

He stares at me with an amused look, “Go on.”

I wanted to tell him for a long time. I take a deep breath, “Charlotte said there were three brother and their wives at the end,” Chase nods, “We know that all of them were killed, so their soul should have gone to de igne.”

“Yes.” He says confusion smeared over his face.

“So, there was no one left to harness power from de igne, that why that realm stayed undisturbed for a long time.”

“That's right. So anybody could harness their power?” Chase asks.

“No, anybody cannot.” I felt a certain excitement in my stomach, I quickly open the page where the spell to harness the power from the realm was mentioned, I point at the ingredients portion, “Here it is mentioned that a blood of an Abbingtons is required to perform the spell.”

His eyes sparkled with the same enthusiasm as mine, “But it is said that all of them died.”

“That is right.” I quickly turn open the page where the names of all the Abbingtons were mentioned, “See, there was someone named, Elizabeth, daughter to Rosaline and Johnathan Abbington, who according to my calculation is supposed to be really young close to 4 or 5 years old when our factions rebelled.”

“So are you saying that?”

“Maybe she escaped somehow because there is no way an outsider can do this spell.” I turn to open another page, “See, here it says, if de igne stays inactive for a long time, its doors will close, which drives me to this conclusion, that maybe this Elizabeth's children have unlocked the door. As a result, the servants crawled out of it. Much magic is not required to summon them. So, all we have to do now is track her children down.” 

“Amber, You are amazing,” Chase says, his voice seeping with enthusiasm. I couldn't help but grin, lowering my eyes, I blush, “This is great, you are damn smart.” He pats on my shoulder.

“Thank you.” I mutter.

°°°

Thanks for reading (Unedited)
Vote and Comment

°Thanks for the 300+ votes and 950+views. It really means a lot.
°If you find any part confusing, just let me know.

Random question
°Have you read The Selection Series by Kiera Cass?