Chapter 29

The ferry drops us off at the dock. The captain leads us into his car to drive us to my brother's place. I can't believe I have his address memorized when I've never been over. I've never even been invited over. I guess I always hoped I would be. 

The captain doesn't ever tell us his name but he doesn't let the secrecy of that stop him from being conversational and friendly. He asks us about ten times if the AC is too high or if we want to listen to any music. I eventually ask him to turn something on because the quiet is too loud. The radio plays a country love song that makes me imagine a couple slow dancing in an old saloon after hours. I try to stay in my imagination for as long asI can. 

In the backseat of the car, I sit closer to Charlie than I need to. During the middle of the song, he looks down at me with a smile but I haven't been paying close enough attention to the song to notice if the lyrics are funny. He snakes his arm around my shoulders and for a second I think he's going to kiss me right then and there - with an old man in the front seat, in a car littered with scratch off tickets. Instead, he rests his arm there and lets me lay my head on his shoulder. 

The captain lets us out a block away from my brother's house. I thank him and let him know I think what he's doing - helping us take down Nakpuna - is really brave. When he hears this, he nearly throws a fit. 

"If I'm brave," he says, pointing a wrinkled finger at his chest, "then there aren't any words to describe what you are." 

Brendan's house isn't big. It's one floor with a strangely long rear and a driveway. The view from inside must not be too stellar. It's located only a minute from a highway and overlooks a four lane street from above the hill. The night out here is vastly different from the night on Neverland. Out here, there are street lamps galore that make everything not illuminated seem untrustworthy and scary. 

The porch lights turn on as I step up to the door. Taking a breath, I stop thinking and just do. My fist pounds on the door. 

Nothing. 

I glance back at Charlie. 

"Try again." 

I knock harder. 

Rustling stirs from inside. Footsteps make their way to the door and I see an eyeball appear through the peephole. The locks go undone. 

"Dovie." 

Brendan is a deer caught in the headlights. He rubs his face as if to collect himself while I take him in. He still has my dad's eyes and mother's bronze skin. His hair still isn't curly like mine and I remember the gaps in between his teeth being there years ago. He's put on some muscle and has a thick beard. I never thought he'd be the kind of guy to grow a beard. 

"You're missing." 

I shrug, tucking my hands into my pockets. "Not anymore. Not to you, at least." 

He squints at Charlie. "Who is that?" 

"My friend." 

Another set of footsteps wander over to the front of the house, this set lighter. A figure appears behind Brendan. She's tall and slender with short, white blonde hair. 

"Is everything alright?" Recognition encompasses her features while I'm left to gape at her. "Dovie! Oh my goodness gracious, we were hanging up flyers for you the other day! You're alright! I mean, are you alright?" 

"I . . ." I don't know what to say. 

"For crying out loud, Brendan, invite them in!" 

Charlie and I are led into the living room. The furniture looks thrifted - if that's even a thing - with its retro classic style. It's as if their theme was Grandma's House but make it trendy.