Chapter 28

The rock seems smaller than it did the first time we landed on it. The waves of the ocean splash against its surface. Some of it makes it onto the rock and slides down to my feet. I take my shoes off and hold them in my hands so as to not soak them. Aaron has his hands hidden in his sweatshirt's sleeves. His chin is tucked underneath the hem.

Ever since my explosive conversation with Charlie, I've been thinking about what Aaron and I have going on. It seems wrong to leave the island without addressing how things have been between us and to act like nothing has changed. More importantly, I've changed and I'm not sure if a relationship with Aaron is what I want. If I'm going to be with him, I want to be certain. I want to be all in.

Aaron holds out his arms as if about to freefall.

"Go ahead! Rip my heart out of my chest. I'm ready, darling."

I purse my lips. "How did you know I was going to do that?"

"I'm not as clueless as I seem. I was just hoping that whatever this rough patch was, we'd get over it."

The sun is on the horizon. It marks the time at eight. The ferry coming for Charlie and I will be here in a matter of hours.

I wish this wasn't how things ended between us.

"You aren't mad?"

He drops his head. "Never at you. I have been mad at the world and at Nakpuna, both for forcing you into such dangerous situations, but never at you."

It brings me a bit of comfort to know he's never hated me though it doesn't change the fact that he should have never taken his frustrations out on me. He did me harm but he didn't mean harm. It's a sloppy excuse but I won't shun him for it now. He's already apologized.

"Here, let's sit." Aaron brings his sweatshirt over his head and drapes it on the rock. He plops down beside me with his arms around his knees. I fight my instinct to rest my head on his shoulders.

He's twisting his ring around his finger again and when he catches me staring, he removes it. He holds it up. The sunlight reflects off of it.

"It belonged to my foster father. He gave it to me right before Tina and I got taken away. He said it would help me remember the time when our family was all together." The tip of Aaron's nose turns red as he swallows back tears. "He said that no matter what happened or where I ended up, we'd always have the time we spent together. Nothing and no one could change that."

He passes it over to me. I turn it over in my fingers. It's still a shiny gold that is smooth to the touch. It reminds me of my father's wedding band.

"The same can be said for us, darling. You might be leaving today and you might not care for me anymore -"

"I care for you." I place the ring back in his palm with a steely expression. Wind dances across our skin, sending a spray of water. "I'll always care about you."

His eyelashes flutter like butterfly wings.

"No matter how far you are from me, we'll always have Neverland. And as long as we have Neverland, I will love you."

The word sends a shock through me.

Love? He loves me?

Aaron slides across the rock, as if being dragged by an invisible hand. His arms flail in the air and he lets out a startled shout. He is just about to be launched off the rock and into the ocean.

Our eyes meet as I reach out my hand for him. I use my powers to hold him suspended over the water.

Instantly, I know I sent him flying in the first place. His confession stunned me enough to provoke my powers.