Chapter 15

My pencil curves along with the outline of the apple. I glance up at the bowl for a reference on how the light is hitting the fruit. Shading is my favorite part of sketching. It never ceases to amaze me how different a drawing can look with just a few extra strokes of a pen.

The still life is almost done. I’m filling in the last of the shading for the table when the floorboard creaks from beside me.

“That looks better than the actual fruit." Aaron has his hands folded behind his back as he peers over my shoulder. I'm instantly glad I decided to draw the fruits and not continue my sketch of Charlie. Now that he's coming onto the island I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

"Thanks." I tuck my pencil into the spine of the sketchbook and rub at the led stains on the side of my pinky. “What’s up?”

He places himself in front of me, leaning against the dining table. He looks really good in this lighting. “There’s this spot out in the forest I’d like to show you, if you’re up for it.”

“A spot in the forest?”

“Logan’s train cart hideout is nothing in comparison.” The sentence oozes with confidence. Aaron oozes with confidence.

I never thought I would be the kind of person to enjoy nature but this island has been changing my mind. Hanging out with Aaron is always exciting and not only because he can fly.

I can’t believe he can fly . . . or that I flew. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since it happened.

I put my sketch book down. “Lead the way.”

We cross the archway that guides us into the garden. He hops on and off the borders of the planters to test his balance, encouraging me to try. He acts as my spotter, as we call it in cheerleading, staying on the ground to catch me if I should fall.  

My eyes take in the changing sky. The sun has set and like curtains of a stage, the night is overtaking the sun. As its light dwindles, the stars become more vivid.

I have no clue what Aaron is going to show me when it’s getting dark out. We didn’t bring any flashlights and unless he developed night vision along with his flight, I don't think we'll see anything.

“You’ve got good balance,” he says, taking my hand to help me leap off the edge.

“I was a flyer on the cheer team. It’s helpful to know how to stay upright when you're being thrown in the air.”

“No wonder you were such a natural at flying the other day.”

It’s a playful comment but it makes me deflate a little.

“I wish I would have laid off my school work a little. If I did, I might have gotten a chance to compete at nationals.” I don’t know why I’m confessing this. We’re not playing the lightning game. Maybe playing it did what it was supposed to do: break the ice. Now I'm telling him about an inner heartache I didn't realize I had.

“You must have put a lot of time into your school work then.”

“Yeah, maybe too much.” We've made it through the clearing and now trees consume our figures. The light from the castle is not doing much to pave our path anymore. Soon, I won’t be able to see my hand if I hold it in front of me. There’s something thrilling about that.

“You couldn’t have known that your time to do that was limited,” he says. His voice tells me he’s floating above me. All I see is his shadow. “How were you supposed to know you’d injure your leg?”

He has a point. Life didn't go the way I thought it would. “I guess you're right.”

“Woah!” Aaron lands directly in my path. His chest bounces as he laughs. “You almost walked right into a tree.”