Chapter 9

"Who is Charlie anyway?"

Willow is leading me down a narrow hallway with square outlines of dust where I imagine paintings used to hang. The light fixtures curve out like hooks and guide us while the sun sets through the window at the end of the hall. Half of it is already hidden underneath the blades of grass that seem to go on for miles. I can't believe I talked with Luka and José for hours.

They gave me the basic rundown on all of the boys. They gave me information like when they were brought onto the Jolly Roger and how long they've been on the island. The two ten year olds are Markus and David. They stick to each other like glue because they were both trafficked from Syria and are most comfortable speaking Arabic.

Jaden, Aiden, and Zeke came over during dinner time to ask if I was any good at soccer. When I explained that my leg was messed up, they left immediately. I tried not to take offense to it as Luka assured me they were like this with everyone - even the adored by all Aaron.

Logan is fifteen and like me was sold out by his parents. His mother was a junkie desperate for money and his dad was never around to care what went on in the house. I had the pleasure of meeting him myself when he offered to show me to a place on the island called "The Tracks." I said I'd go with him if Luka and José could tag along. He accepted and the second he left José accused him of having a crush on me just like he does on Willow. Apparently, Logan has a thing for the ladies.

"Earth to Dovie? Spill the dirt! Who's Charlie?" Willow abruptly stops her marching to wiggle her eyebrows at me. I redden at the gesture but she misinterprets it, making her eyes go wide. "I haven't had a single juicy conversation about a boy in years! You can't deprive me of that!"

"Well, I'm sorry but it's not like that with Charlie." I fold my hands behind my back and continue through the hallway, even though I have no idea where the room with the phone booths are. I asked Willow if I could use the phones to make a call and she said we could try the phone room. Apparently the old boarding school had a special room where the old students could call family.

Willow jogs to catch up with me and takes her place as guide again. She looks at me quizzically. "How come?"

I give her a frown. "What do you mean?"

"From what I heard from our insider, Charlie's your age. I saw a picture of him and he's a knockout. He obviously cares about you if he got you over here despite . . ." Her face darkens, an odd shadow crossing her hazel eyes. Suddenly, I can see the bags underneath them. "Despite his uncle being who he is."

"I don't know. We've just always been the way we've been: friends."

Imagining a reality where Charlie wants to take me out for dinner and a movie isn't as difficult to conjure as I expect it to be. I mean, we did do all those things together as friends. He knows that he can't ever get me to hang out with him the day before a test and I know that he would rather be caught dead than wear a short sleeve. We practically know everything about each other. It would be easy - convenient - if we ended up together.

But Charlie doesn't even want to touch me. He jokes about how insufferable I am all the time and he's gone out on dates with girls while we've been friends. He's encouraged me to ask out other guys too. If we were going to happen, we would have happened.

"That stinks for me." Willow bumps the last door with the side of her hip. It swings open and I can't see anything until her hand finds the light switch on the wall. The room is decorated like a living room with its leather loveseats and sad, forgotten fireplace. The only thing that is off putting is the large shelf of taxidermy animals. There are foxes, rabbits, badgers - even an owl. I'm not surprised the old owners left those behind.