Chapter 16: Decisions

Start from the beginning

I gasped when something cold made contact with my back expectantly. The nurse giggled and apologized before continuing to massage the white stuff on my bruises. It felt good for the most part. I was faintly aware of the door opening, but figured it was just another doctor and didn't bother turning around, but what I did notice was a whimper and the door slam shut. I looked to the nurse for an explanation, but she was already washing her hands and heading towards the door with a worried look on her face.

To say I was confused would be an understatement. I looked into the mirror again and sighed. Looks like I'll be wearing long sleeve shirts and pants for a while. Good thing it's winter. Only thirty two days until my birthday, then I could leave this life behind and start over. Wait, leave? I can't leave Harry. Oh God, what am I going to do? While I was having an internal battle with myself the nurse led a shaking and slightly sobbing Harry back into the room.

"Lou?" He croaked.

My head snapped around and I scrambled blindly to pull my gown back up although it was no use, you could still see the bruises on my arms and legs. I stared in fear at him as he clenched his fists at his sides. This was it. He was going to be so mad at me for not telling him, maybe I wouldn't have to worry about leaving him, because it looked like he was about to leave me.

"Yeah?" I croaked. That's the best you can come up with? Idiot!

"Yeah? That's all you have to say?" His voice had risen slightly and the nurse had left the room, which I hated, because now no one was there to protect me.

"You could have told me! I told you my secrets, I trusted you, but you couldn't even put one ounce of trust in me huh? I could have helped you, then maybe we wouldn't be here now! You wouldn't be lying in that hospital bed shaking in fear that I'm going to hit you!"

I flinched at his words, and tried to say something, but my mouth was bone-dry and my lips couldn't form a single syllable. Harry took a step closer, so I scooted to the far side of the bed. He lowered his voice.

"I'm not. I could never hurt you even if I wanted to, which I don't. I'm just upset that after everything we've been through that you still don't trust me. I'm sorry." He sat on the edge of my bed, but I stayed put staring at him, not knowing what to say.

"Please say something." He whispered while his emerald eyes bored into mine.

This broke me out of my trance, and my thoughts started turning in my head.

"I-I...It's just, umm, well you see, it's not easy for me t-to trust people. People have lied to me my whole l-life." I stuttered while avoiding his intense gaze.

Before I knew it I was being pulled into a bear hug. Harry was careful so that I wasn't in pain because of my injuries, but he was squeezing me as if this was the last time he was going to see me.

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so, so sorry." I felt something wet hit my cheek and looked up to see Harry crying into my hair with his eyes closed.

"You have nothing to be sorry for love." This only made him cry harder.