Chapter 16: Decisions

Louis's POV

I woke up to a woman’s voice speaking to someone far away. When I managed to get my eyes open I saw that they were actually only a few feet away from my bed, a nurse and a doctor to be exact. So I hadn’t dreamt the whole thing, Mr. Smith had actually tried to kill me. I'm lucky to be alive.

A terrible thought struck me and I sat up quickly sending a stinging pain down my ribcage. The nurse turned to me with wide eyes and walked over quickly pushing me back down on the bed.

She told me to lie down and what had all happened to me. It's funny, I don't remember getting hurt that badly, I guess it was the adrenaline rush blocking out the pain. She increased the medicine going into my I.V. and checked my vital signs.

"Where are Darcy, Niall, and Harry?" I asked her sweetly.

Maybe I had imagined Harry’s sad green eyes pleading with me to stay awake. That would make more sense. I sighed as she answered me.

"Darcy and Niall are staying with Harry for a few days so the UKFA can get everything sorted out and under control. Harry was here last night, but had to leave when visiting hours ended, so he'll probably be back in a little while if I had to guess. He was really upset that you were hurt." She smiled sympathetically down at me.

He was upset? Is it wrong that I'm happy about that? I'm still getting used to this whole caring thing.

"Now there are a few problems we need to address concerning you. I need you to be completely honest with me Louis." She gave me a stern look, basically implying that I wasn’t supposed to lie.

I nodded my head to show that I understood. I already knew what she was going to say, rather ask, but that doesn’t mean I was prepared to answer it.

"How long have you cut your wrists and why?" Well that was blunt.

"I started about a year after going to the Smiths' house. I guess I just felt worthless, and I don't know, it was like an escape for me, but I haven't done it in two months." I smiled proudly, but she frowned.

"The bruising on your back, how did that happen?"

"Umm...I, uh...Mr. Smith pushed me down the stairs, into walls, tables and anything else that was around." I shrugged, but regretted it as my broken body ached once again.

"Okay, now we are just going to put some ointment on it that will help it heal faster. Is that alright?"

"Okay." I glanced nervously at the black tube in her hand.

She helped me sit up and I slid my hospital gown down to my hips, luckily they had left me in my boxers so I wasn't completely naked. I was facing the window, with my back to the door. There was a full length mirror to my left and I could clearly see the black and purple bruises that covered my entire body. It made me sick looking at it. I was ugly enough before.

I noticed the mangled remains of my phone lying on the table next to the desk. I vaguely remember a crunching noise when Mr. Smith pushed me down. I guess that's what it was.