𝟯𝟵 who wears the crown, who tells the tale

CHAPTER THIRTY NINEwho wears the crown, who tells the tale

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE
who wears the crown, who tells the tale

VERONA BLAZE

It was over.

It had started and then just like that, it was over. Kronos was gone, defeated. The demigods were safe (relatively) for once. After almost four years of fighting and battling, death and destruction and injury, it was over. There was a heavy weight of some type of anvil on her chest as she walked through Olympus with Connor at her side, the rest of the demigods crowding around towards the hall of the gods, which the Olympians had slowly begun to fix over the last few hours. Connor had used Percy's mom's phone to call his mom before they came up, and it had turned out she had been in her apartment when the battle had begun and Morpheus had put everybody to sleep. She had a monster crash a brick through her bathroom window, but other than that she was okay.

Verona wondered how her dad was doing, if he knew what had happened all the way out in California. He knew something was happening, but he probably thought it was some freak storm.

It was probably best to keep it that way.

The hall of the gods, and Olympus, looked more like itself within five minutes than it had when Verona had been up here earlier. Connor had let go of her hand a long time ago, but he stayed close to her side, chatting quietly with Travis and Katie. Luke was dead, as Percy had explained he had been the hero in the end, the one to kill himself and end his own suffering and everybody else is in order to rid his body of Kronos' essence before the transformation was complete. Connor had heaved a sigh at that, looking torn between being upset that his brother was really gone, or happy that the war had ended. He had settled for something in between.

It felt wrong, to celebrate when Silena wasn't here. Verona hadn't apologized for what she said to Clarisse, because as much as she wanted to, a part of her believed it to be true still. Nonetheless, she hadn't held a grudge against the girl, and once she had gotten the daughter of Ares out of the ice, the two had quickly made up, to Chris' happiness, who said Clarisse had not stopped complaining about Verona after she'd left Camp.

Hermes was the first god to greet them when they came inside the hall of the gods, where most of the demigods already were. Verona could see her siblings all converged near Aphrodite's throne? nervously flitting as she she recreated it from the seashells that had fallen off. Catarina seemed to be the only one who wasn't solely affected by Aphrodite — she wasn't glaring, but there was a look of coolness on her face. Aphrodite sent her a pained glance for once, for what? Verona wasn't too sure of that. Catarina didn't look angry to their mother, but simply cold and indifferent — as though she had already committed a heinous act against her. It wasn't because of the war, that much was clear. This dated back long before.