𝟮𝟯 and crius was his name-o

CHAPTER TWENTY THREEand crius was his name-o

and crius was his name-o

——— CONNOR!
( NEW YORK, MID JUNE )

CONNOR HAD REALIZED spending a week with Verona had been too much even in December, but spending more than one week with her? That had been pure torture. It was almost the middle of June and Connor could not wait to quit summer school and return back to Camp Half Blood. Of course, he'd miss his mother and her cooking, but being stuck under four walls with Verona had driven him to complete insanity — she had driven him insane. He was pretty sure she had been doing it on purpose to some extent. He hadn't realized until he had been stuck with her everyday after school, between classes and watching over Brady when he went home, that Verona had some pretty annoying habits from time to time — she was always late in the morning, more often than not because her hair would not "curl" the correct way, whatever that meant. She and Connor had started sharing the same cereal, both racing to finish it first and piss the other one off into going and buying the next box, and most of all, it seemed that both Benji and his mother liked her better.

It wasn't like Connor hadn't provoked some of the things that had happened, because he had. He had certainly hidden all her hair products one morning, so she was jumping around Travis' room, hair half clipped up, makeup half done looking for her curling iron. He had dumped the last half of the box of cereal to the pigeons that visited on the roof of his mom's apartment, and left just enough for her to eat one more bowl and then have to go out and get another box. He had even switched some of the white powder that was labelled setting from her makeup with baby powder, which had made her look like a cross between Snow White and Maleficent when she came looking for Connor that morning, demanding to know where he hid her actual makeup.

And it had been fun, to watch her get mad at him for everything he did, fury gleaming in her eyes every time he pulled something mischievous and lips pulling into half of a smile as she tried hard not to do something between a laugh and a scream when she looked in the mirror and saw that she looked like a powdered marshmallow.

But then she had stopped reacting and Connor though she had gotten used to it, and maybe this was the end of the line for him — maybe he had finally reached a point where he had no more unique ideas to come up with.

And just as Connor though he had finally won, she began retaliating.

It was like a permanent rain cloud had developed over his head, soaking him daily with heavy droplets of reality. It was bound to happen eventually, for Verona to snap and come back at him the way he had her (Travis had warned him it would happen continuously in all the years he had competed against her, even Chiron had), but Connor didn't think she'd be this good at it. He thought maybe she'd do as her siblings did, shrink his clothes (which she did, once — they were small enough for Benji to fit into them) or apply permanent makeup to his face (she had done this as well) or even simply curse him in French, a language all Aphrodite children knew all too well (this was something she did as well, though Connor didn't understand a word she said — nonetheless, it sounded nice coming out of her mouth).