𝟯𝟴 the minutes between

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHTthe minutes between

the minutes between

CONNOR STOLL

He didn't know how, but he knew Verona was in trouble the second the Drakon had landed three feet above on a building near the Empire State Building. It wasn't some telepathic link or something now that he had admitted to her that he was in love with her, but it was just a gut feeling, like she needed him. The only problem was, two different empousa were both too busy pouncing on him, their hair on fire and attempting to suck his blood straight out of his body. Two more advanced on Travis, and one towards Katie, though that one didn't look like it wanted to suck her blood out (it was just men, Connor realized, and then thought that in that aspect, these monsters would get along really well with the Hunters of Artemis).

Katie waved her hand in a circular motion and a series of vines and branches appeared, wrapping her empousa up in them and letting it fall to the ground, eternally squeezing it until it had become dust and was sent to Tartarus. She did the same with one of Connor's, giving him enough time to stab the other in the chest, as well as one of Travis'. The last one, well that empousa fell straight into an axe that a giant had lured Malcolm Pace's way that he had ducked from, deacaptitaing it's head straight off. The giant went GRAHH and headed straight for the three of them, but before it could a series of tricks and exploding traps went off around it, and Connor turned to his left to find Jake Mason a few sidewalks over, launching another series of exploding traps at the monsters in front of the Empire State Building.

Connor wondered what would happen if they accidentally blew up a historical landmark like the Empire State Building.

They had already destroyed half of Manhattan.

When Connor ended up back inside the building several hours later, the first thing he saw outside was his half brother Chris standing near the entrance, fighting off two drachnae. Connor swung his sword through one, slicing it to dust. The second one was stabbed by Chris.

The second thing he saw was Clarisse La Rue in the winged chariot Michael had given her, swinging in the air with a dead Drakon carcass attached to the chariot, her entire body glowing a light red like a flame and smoke coming off of her body. It was like she had been blessed by Ares, though Connor wasn't sure exactly why — he had never seen it before. The monsters were throwing everything, arrow and knives and swords, their fists and axes but nothing would hit her — Chris on the other hand would flinch every time something tried to slice her neck in half.

"I AM CLARISSE, DRAKON-SLAYER," She yelled loudly into the wind, the sound reverberating over the trees. "I WILL KILL YOU ALL! WHERE IS KRONOS? BRING HIM OUT. IS HE A COWARD?"