Chapter 5

The jet landed and we got out with our stuff. We took a cab to get us to the hotel. When we entered the room we shared, there were things all over the beds and the floor. There were dresses, suits, hair stuff, and makeup. Two women and a man were waiting for us there. They stood up and the man began talking.

"Hi, both of you. We'll be the ones helping you get ready. The ball starts at 6 pm. You have to leave here at 5 pm. We have a lot of time, where do you want to start first?" he told us. Bucky and I looked at each other, trying to figure out what we should do.

"Well, I'm still really hungry..." I started.

"We're gonna go eat something. I don't know where. We'll find a little café where we can eat breakfast. We will have time to get ready after that, right?" Bucky said.

"Oh, yeah yeah, we will definitely have time if you go, but-"the man started but Bucky grabbed my hand and walked back to the door.

"We'll be back in like, an hour," he said and we left. We walked back to the hotel's elevator and we went down to the lobby. We went outside and I took my phone out to try and find a place to go eat. He reached out for the device and my hands and took it from me.

"Hey, I'm just trying to find a place we can eat," I tell him so he can give it back.

"No phones. We're gonna spend the time we have without the internet. It's not that hard, that's how it was in the 40s," he said. I sighed. I didn't have much choice. I also didn't want to start arguing so I shut it.

We walked in the streets and eventually, we saw a little coffee shop. I stopped in front of it.

"Let's go there, I'm really want something to eat," I told Bucky. He just answered with an 'okay' and we walked into the café. It was beautiful. The ambiance was peaceful and classy jazz music was playing in the background. There were some vintage couches with cute pillows laying on them.

"This place reminds me of the forties," Bucky told me. I smile and spotted a table in the back of the coffee shop.

I sat down at the table and he sat in front of me.

"What was it like, in the forties? Do you miss it?" I asked him.

"Every day, all I have left from back then are the memories and Steve. Even if living was hard, it was great, peaceful. I did the same things every single day until I joined the army, but I enjoyed it. Until I would find Steve getting beaten up in an abandoned alley. It happened so many times," he smiled, his mind filled with memories of his past life.

"I still can't imagine Steve getting beaten up," I said.

"Well, he was really small and weak, but he had a head on his shoulders. Even if it looks like he does everything to get beaten up, he's the best friend I could ever have. I'm really lucky that I still have him," he said.

I took a look at the menu to decide what I was gonna order. Once I chose, I gave it to him. He took two seconds to look at it and put it down.

"I'll probably have a latte with a muffin. What are you gonna take?" I asked.

"I have no idea. I'll just take a black coffee and whatever muffin you'll take," he replied

We continued talking about Bucky's past. How he mostly missed the people there. Eventually, a waitress came to our table.

"What can I get you two started for today?" she asked, paying way more attention to Bucky than me. He was about to say something, but I started talking before a word could leave his mouth.

"Hi, I'll take a tall latte with the blueberry muffin. He will have-" I started.

"I think he can order for himself," she interrupted me. "He's not 5 years old, is he?" She continued. I didn't know what to answer, I was just shocked. How could someone be such a bitch? She turned her head to look straight into his eyes.