Breathe

(Italics in parenthesis = mind link)

(Miss Martians POV) 

I could slowly feel his walls being lowered, and I carefully set up the link.

I could hear some of his memories, but he soon blocked them out, frowning.

The glimpse I had left me thinking he was at war with himself, but it was much better than last time.

Something positive must've happened, even if he was still hurting.

And for someone without experience with mind-links, a common reaction has seemed to be flinching, or something of the sort.

But he nodded at us instead, walking past smoothly.

"Move in teams of two, Artemis and Wally will absolutely not be on the same team this time."

"How come you seem so used to people talking through minds," Artemis frowned.

"Because," he looked away, "I've had people talking to me in my mind whenever they wanted. Since I was a little older than twelve, you learn to get used to the intrusions after a while."

I felt my chest tighten at what he has been through, we all knew he had a tougher life, but having someone intrude on your mind on a daily basis... was terrible.

I pulled him into a hug, which he slowly returned, "Let's go get Bane."

(skip)

We were pushing from all sides, taking down guard after guard, when something went wrong.

I could hear the panic coming from the others when I was slammed into from behind.

Landing on the floor, I gasped for breath, feeling the mind link break with one of my rib bones.

Crying out in pain, I blindly struck out, hitting a hard piece of flesh.

"No, no, chica, I'm afraid we can't have none o' that."

My vision cleared, and Bane stood above me, grinning wickedly. I tried to stand, but he grabbed me by my neck and started to squeeze.

Tears ran down my face and no matter what I did, he continued to add pressure.

Someone was hazily calling my name, but I couldn't tell who as my vision started to waver.

My throat screamed in protest, "Please."

I managed to rasp out, but it did nothing.

And as I blacked out, all I could hear was his nauseating laugh.

(skip)

"Megan?"

I groaned as the voice pounded through my skull.

Trying to lift my eyelids, the bright light blinded me, before a body blocked it from my eyes.

"Megan, are okay?"

My throat felt dry, sore, and scratchy as I started to cough shakily, heaving in my breaths.

It hurt so much.

Cool water made its way into my mouth, and down my throat, as I swallowed.

Looking looked up, the splash of the waterfall splattered across the concrete, "Thank you, Seahawk."

I started to notice the others around me, Conner hovering close to me, and the others in a semi-circle.

Trying to think back to what happened, my throat sob painfully, but I could not remember.

"What happened?"

"You were being choked by Bane," Artemis started shakily, "Seahawk took him on and got to you. We thought you were dead when he started chest compressions. It wasn't working...

(italics = flashback, Arty's POV)

Miss Martian was held by her throat, her oxygen cut off, her windpipe slowly being crushed.

Seahawk moved forward as all of us were stuck fighting those stupid guards. We couldn't get to her, but he managed to push through.

Pulling his sword from his sheath, dancing around gracefully, he distracted and infuriated Bane further.

Bane's anger is what caused him to attack wildly and, as soon as he dropped Miss Martian, Seahawk cut the tubes on his back.

He slowly shrunk back to a more human size as we took over for Seahawk, letting him run to her side.

The twang of my bow soon died out with the last unconscious thud of a body, before we all ran to their side, frightened.

"Everyone, calm down," Seahawk shouted, "I can't do anything with all of you panicking, and she will die if I can't concentrate."

He placed his hands on her chest, pushing down in timed bursts, humming "Stayin' Alive".

A drop of sweat rolled down his face, and he wiped his cheek on his shoulder, never stopping in the compressions and CPR.

"It's not working, she's not breathing," He panted.

We all cried out, and I buried my face into Wally's shoulder.

"KF, I have an idea," He swallowed nervously, "this is our last shot. I need you to rub your hands together quickly, building up a charge of electricity."

Wally pulled himself away from me, doing as told before Seahawk took his hands and placed them on Megan's chest.

Her body jolted upwards, but she still wasn't breathing.

I started to shake as Seahawk called out, "Again!"

We waited.

It didn't work...

I began to turn away when I heard a gasp turn into a coughing fit.

Megan was breathing again.

I cried out in relief, before sinking to the floor.

She's not dead.

(flashback end, Megan's POV)

Almost tipping over Seahawk, I hugged him tightly as I let out a sob, "Thank you so much."

He passed me over to Conner, who carried me to the ship, before stepping hesitantly aboard, "It's fine, and I know how an almost crushed windpipe feels, not fun."

My eyelids started to drop, becoming a ton of bricks, as I softly heard Seahawks voice, "We'll be heading to the med-bay as soon as we get there, so rest,"

"Sleep well, Miss Martian."