Algernon - The Hero King

Before anything else, let me tell you about a story I read as child.

Algernon the Hero King.

As a boy, there were no countries or kingdoms to divide Aldernad – the land itself didn't even have a name. Tribes and villages dotted the land.

The northern portion of the continent was known as land of Gods and Goddesses. The western portion for the magical forest that was home to many. The eastern portion a home for dragons and beast alike. The southern portion for its bountiful land and beautiful warm coasts.

There was always fighting.

Fighting that would spill into otherwise peaceful villages.

Villages like the one Algernon grew up in, he spent his days helping to tend to the fields with his family.

Until a battle ravaged his village and killed his family.

It was with this determination that Algernon became strong.

Venturing first to the east, to learn how to bond with the noble beasts. To the west he went to hone the magic within his heart. To the south, where he rallied the friends he made along the way.

They ventured north, to the land of the Gods and Goddesses.

Where Algernon and his loyal friends overcame the trials presented by the Heavenly beings. The trials were perilous and tested not only the boundaries of their collective ability.

But the strength of the bonds they've developed.

His friends were of human, elves, dwarves, beastmen, pixie, and even fairy descent.

Despite their differences, they managed to rally behind Algernon. Because the one thing that bonded them all together was their willingness to follow the man to the ends of the world.

Because Algernon would do the same for them, something he had proven over and over and over again.

Together, they conquered monsters, demons, corrupted dragons, and eventually....

The greatest trial of them all – which was in the Heavens itself.

Algernon and his friends had proven themselves worthy.

Worthy to rule themselves and be given the power to unite the land.

But a warning – the power can give and it can take, so heed your greed and your selfishness. Be wary that your ambition doesn't over shadow. Be as noble and compassionate as you have proven yourselves to be.

The Gods and Goddesses gave the northern territory back, the abundant resources there made way to the first capital of the land.

The land they named Aldernan, in honor of the Algernon who had led them there.

The City of Yggdrasil, built first in the northern territory – now known as Paradise's Gateway. A way for mere mortals to visit the throne of the Gods and Goddesses in the Great Beyond. Yggdrasil was special because it didn't stay in one spot.

The City of Yggdrasil floated in the clouds above.

Algernon's friends would venture across the land, their goal to unite the people once more with the promise of Yggdrasil to watch over the peace. Brilux, Dolan and Eostrun would come to fruition – first as small farm villages where the great heroes resided.

And the King of all Heroes had made his home in Yggdrasil, the floating city going between territories.

Assisting the dwarf's when they heard the call of the stone from deep in the ground. The dwarves had taken inspiration from Yggdrasil to build a city as great as that.

Kal Darom would echo those sentiments.

The fairies taking refuge in the center of Aldernad, where the magic ran thickest in the air.

The Great Estercier Forest.

His pixie friends grew fond of floating high in the skies, choosing to stay near Algernon and the citizens that had chosen to follow him.

In his long life, Algernon truly lived up to his namesake of Hero King.

A great era of peace and prosperity rang in.

This is the part where the story books end, an ending true to the words of 'happily ever after'.

However, I learned the truth.

But time makes distant the words once told to them by the Gods and Goddesses above.

Greed and selfishness would be Algernon's downfall – but not his own.

The people across Aldernad didn't want to just visit the Great Beyond.

They wanted to conquer it.

Algernon reasoned and tried to talk the people out of it. But then the very people – the very friends he fought alongside, grew jealous.

Thinking Algernon and his floating city only wanted to keep the Great Beyond for himself.

The people mounted their forces and a great army led by Algernon's best friend would march.

They charged through Paradise's Gateway, intent on taking the very Heavens.

Only to be violently ousted – the Gods and Goddesses violently retaliated.

Scarring the lands with unforgiving spires of earth and stone and splitting Aldernad in half, separating Kal Darom from their neighbors.

The thousands of men and women that marched through Paradise's Gateway were warped into things that truly represented what was in their heart. But their comrades didn't know the abominations were their own kin, so they surged on to the Great Beyond, repeating this vicious cycle.

Algernon could only watch in horror at the carnage below.

With the help of his pixie and fairy friends who had remembered well the warning from the Heavens, Algernon tried to remedy the mistakes of his old friends.

At the cost of Yggdrasil, Algernon destroyed Paradise's Gateway, forever sealing the Great Beyond from the reach of mortals.

But the damage was done, the northern territory was scarred and tainted.

Algernon still had love for the land and its people, despite all the transgressions.

With his final breath and the help of the fairies and pixies, they built a powerful enchantment across Estercier and the Werenluna. Giving the ancient forests the power to keep the evil at bay and away from where his friends had tried to build their homes.

The remaining fairies and pixies saw how worn and ragged Algernon had grown at the end of it all.

They would whisk the Great Hero King away to a distant island where he could live out the rest of his days in true peace.

He only had one wish, but this wish was one thing that would not be fulfilled in his lifetime.

On the day he passed, a personal escort of Gods and Goddesses descended down from the Heavens and sat the Hero King on a throne beside them. This one day out of the year is the most important day to celebrate and give remembrance for the fairies and pixies who remained on that distant island. Untouched by the tendrils of time, but able to use their rich magic and talents to observe the world.

His friends who did remember to heed the warnings were left behind, every one of them focused on rebuilding their homes and villages that were destroyed by evil aspirations.

Keeping to themselves due to the shame they felt for letting down the Hero King.

But they would remember Algernon forever.

I've touched the Great Beyond.

And returned, but with a promise to fulfill.

Wait for me, Eiri.

I'll come back to you.