Delay

It was strange being within the walls of the Elven Palace.

Phoenix was groggy after sleeping for what she was told to be three days straight, but her body felt leagues better than it did when she first arrived. The back of her head was no longer sore and both of her hands she was able to move. Although she noted her left hand was a bit stiffer than her right.

The elven healers had given her a draught which induced a healing sleep, she was told her wounds were still serious despite the fact they healed on their own.

The wound at the back of her head was infected, the same with her left hand which is why it hurt as much as it did. The healers did the best they could do with the scars on wrist and legs, but Phoenix had gone too long without being properly treated that the jagged white lines were permanently there within her skin. Both of her hands bore light scars from where Hiram had pierced through with those earth spikes.

Phoenix sighed and looked out the window of the medical hall, there were plenty more beds that were all empty and the towering ceiling above her was privy to a massive window which overlooked the Elven City of Eostrun. By the golden glow, Phoenix surmised that it was early morning. She was dressed in well-fitted green trousers and a tunic with a gold trimming. The fabric was soft and smooth against her skin, like the other clothes from before. Phoenix enjoyed how the clothes fit well against her body.

She still craved a proper bath, despite being told that the healers attended to her needs while she slept by cleaning her off. Phoenix waited for a comment about her anatomy to come forth, but the healer paid no heed to it and simply told her to make sure she drank the medicinal tea while she ate her breakfast.

Now, Phoenix stared expectantly at the arching entrance of the sterile and white medical hall. The wait staff was supposed to bring her food to go with the medicinal tea, the healer stressed that it would upset her stomach if she didn't have food to go with it.

Phoenix was playing with wispy strands of her shoulder length hair once the double doors swung open.

She was surprised to see the former King walk in with another elf at her side. Elnaril was tall with angular features while still maintaining a soft feminine glow, the elf at her side had to have been her wife, judging from how close they stood together. She was shorter than Elnaril, but her skin was of the same creamy complexion that reminded Phoenix of a full moon's glow. Her dark hair easily swayed at her waist with each graceful step and her sky-blue gaze regarded Phoenix in a warm manner.

"I hope you enjoyed your rest, little one." Elnaril's amethyst eyes gleamed in the golden morning, "I hope you don't mind guests while you eat."

"If you don't mind my lack of manners, then it's fine." Phoenix gave a small smile. Two staff members set up a tray on her lap and bowl of sweet-smelling oatmeal and cream. A plate of ripe apples was cut up to the side.

Elnaril's lip curled into a smile, "I can see how my granddaughter is so fond of you."

Phoenix snapped up, "How is Eiri? Will her foot be okay? Was there anything else that hurt for her?"

"Eat first, I'll tell you while you do so." Elnaril looked to the staff and healer, with a nod, the three left them alone. Elnaril chose to remain standing while her wife sat on a chair at Phoenix's bedside. "This is my wife and Eiri's grandmother, Chalia."

"Y-Your majesty." Phoenix bowed her head awkwardly, unsure of the elven customs.

"Grandma Chalia is fine, since you're Eiri's friend, you may call me that as well."

"Grandsire Elnaril will do for me, as well." Elnaril smiled and put a hand on her wife's shoulder, "The healer says you should be good to go, they were concerned about the nasty gash at your head. The same could be said with your left hand."

"It feels a lot better." Phoenix opened and closed her hand, thankful that it no longer burned with that dull ache from before.

"Eiri has told me a lot about you," Elnaril's eyes twinkled, "I'm sadden to hear that such a perilous journey has brought you to this great city."

Phoenix sighed, the food in front of her forgotten.

"Please eat, little one." Chalia beckoned softly.

Phoenix nodded and began scooping the oatmeal into her mouth, savoring each sweet and delectable bite.

"There's much to discuss, especially about matters for sending you home." Elnaril shared a look with Chalia, something unspoken between the two.

Phoenix was perceptive, "Am I unable to go home?" The memory of Icarus nonchalantly saying how things were bad between the human and the elves came to the forefront of her mind.

Bad enough to shut down the trade routes.

Elnaril had a sad smile on her face, she sat the foot of Phoenix's bed, a warm hand reached out to her wrist, "Adults can be stubborn some times."

Phoenix nodded, "Please, just tell me. Can I go to Brilux?" She hated this feeling of adults trying to keep secrets from her because she was a child.

The food in front of her was only half eaten, but Phoenix held a steady gaze with the former King of Eostrun.

"No, things are too tense right now and us trying to return a human child with no business in Eostrun... can be used against us elves." Elnaril closed her eyes and remembered the long discussions of what to do with Phoenix Stroud. "Despite how head-strong my son was to you the other day, he regards peace in the highest manner. Things have been difficult between Eostrun and Brilux." Elnaril chose to leave out the small border skirmishes within the Great Granite Range and the Narrows especially, "He has been under a lot of stress, especially after Eiri's disappearance."

Phoenix closed her eyes and breathed in deep, "When can I go home?"

"It's hard to say right now."

The tears spilled before Phoenix could register them, her hands clenched at the silk sheets in her lap.

Her mother, with her gentle songs while baking together.

Her father, and his strong hugs that felt even better than being home.

Her brother – who would read him stories from their mother's books?

"I'm sorry, little one." Chalia reached over hesitantly.

Phoenix sobbed harder.

She only wanted her mother's embrace, that was what she wanted most in all of Aldernad's green earth.

"And you will, one day. I promise you will." Chalia leaned over and wrapped her arms around Phoenix's shoulders.

The child hadn't even realized she said that aloud.