| 14 |

Chapter Fourteen

~

Ah finally. Winter break.
After several long months, I get-

Well... sort of a break.

I do have a lot of homework... and I do have to manage my time with my family, friends and Louis; so I guess it's more like a half break.

But my favorite part about this time of the year is waking up whenever I want.

Meaning I'm not leaving this bed until lunch time.

Or well... that was the original plan

"Good morning sweet pea!" My mom bursts through my door, no knocking.
I feel my soul leap out of my body as I shoot up from my warm bed.

I whine and hold a hand to my heart, "What the heck mom! Ever heard of knocking?"

My mom scoffs and walks over to my curtains, pushing them aside and letting the sunrise shine through my windows.
"Oh come on now, aren't you happy that I'm home? Come on, I made cinnamon rolls and eggs for breakfast."

Just as she walked in, she walked out, and left me in my bed.
I groan a little and rub my eyes before kicking my legs out of under my blanket and trudging to the kitchen.

So much for sleeping in, right?

"Morning y/n," Maya calmly smiles from the dining table as she munches on her breakfast.

Mom was at the kitchen counter, drizzling frosting on my cinnamon roll and placing my eggs on a plate.

Yeah there's definitely something going on. This happens every once in a while and mom always thinks she's slick with it.

"So what's the big event?" I ask with a sigh and take my seat across from Maya.
I hear my mom clear her throat and then walk behind me and place my food down on the table.

"What do you mean?" She chuckles a little and takes a seat at the end of the table with her food.

I furrow my brows.
"I mean you're suddenly home and made us breakfast and we're all eating it together? That's not exactly normal for our family."

Mom lets out a long sigh and starts popping some of her food in her mouth.
"Okay so I may have some news..."

Oh boy.

"So my boss found a case a while away... and he's really in need of an attorney for the defendant. And trust me, I hate defending the suspects but this one could get us money even if it means I have to leave for winter break. But I promise it's gonna make us-"

"What?" I cut her off, unsure I heard her right.

My mom's eyes soften and she lets out a little breath.
"Sweetie, I know you want me to stay for Christmas but this is important and-"

"So your telling me that you'll be gone all break? How is that fair?"

"Y/n."

"Mom."

She drops her head and stares at the plate in front of her, thinking what to say next.
"Look, I understand why you're frustrat-"