Chapter Thirty-eight

(A/N: I'm gonna skip all the boring stuff and just time skip to when they first arrive at the building where they are supposed to be harvested.)

Time skip brought to you by: Gally's Eyebrows 👀

It's been about two hours since we escaped the maze. I still can't believe that Chuck and Gally are dead. Two of my friends.

The rest of the gladers were in the Cafe getting dinner. I was asked to stay back in our bunk room so that someone could talk with me, though I was still unsure of the reason.

A tall man stepped into the room, slowly. I could see a gun that rested on his belt and I felt myself tense up a bit. He shut the door behind him as two guards walked in and stood by the door. The man walked over to me and sat on the bed across from mine.

"Goodevening, Eve. I'm Janson."

"Hello, Janson. To what do I owe the pleasure?" I ask, rather suspicious of him. I had seen him wearing a WICKD coat when we first arrived so I knew he was somehow involved with the creators of the maze. The people who did all of this to us. To me.

"What do you remember about WICKD?" Janson asks.

"Nothing much. Just that they were the ones who sent us our supplies in the maze. Each box had their logo printed on it," I explain, trying not to go into too much detail. I looked at the floor, uncomfortable under his gaze.

"You remember me, don't you, Eve?" he says to me as he lifts me face up with his finger so that I would be making eye contact with him.

"No. I'm sorry, I don't believe I do," I say, honestly. Why did this man think I knew him? Did I know him before the maze.

"Right...," he says as he got up and walked out. His guards followed close behind. I left and walked down the hall to the cafeteria where my friends were.

Inside there were nine tables and teenagers sitting at each if them. I guess we weren't the only maze out there. There were others like us who are just as scared as we are or were. I spot my friends and go to take a seat next to them.

"So, what did they want?" Thomas asks, curiously.

"Nothing really, just this guy wanted to know if I remember him. I don't." I shrugged and ate the food that was jnfront of me.

"Maybe an old boyfriend," Minho giggles.

"I doubt it, he's like in his 30's," I reply with a disgusted look on my face. "And I am probably like 17 or 18."

"Who's that?" I point to a few of the guys that were sitting with us. They introduced themselves to me and continued eating.

"We've been here two days, but that kid over there," one of the boys points to a boy who sat alone with a a hoodie that blocked his face. "He's been here for weeks." As the boy finished his sentence the one that had supposedly been here for weeks had looked up to meet my gaze.

"Oh my god," I mumble as I get up from my table and go to sit down with the boy.

"What is she doing?" Newt questioned.

The boy looked so familiar. One look at his face and I remembered who he was. My best friend from before the maze. I don't know how I remembered, but I did.

"Aris!" I say as I embrace him in a hug. While doing so, I quickly glance back over at my table of friends who were all still very confused.

"How did you-"

"I missed you," I say not even realizing that he was the thing I was missing all of this time but now it made perfect sense.

"Eve, this place-we're not safe here. Something's off," Aris explains.