Chapter Nine

(Author's Note: I'm trying to make it more interesting but I'm not sure what I should do to switch up the plot. Lmk, what you want to happen in the story.)

"Those-," Newt points to a large wooded area in the back left corner of the glade, "those are the deadheads. There's a grave yard in the back. It's quite eery back there so I wouldn't suggest going alone," he finishes, continuing to walk.

"You've already seen our homestead, and where we just came from was the meal plot, but these huts in front of us," he says turning to them, "they're where most of our jobs take place."

"We only have three rules here in the glade," Newt says, stopping, causing me to bump into him. "Rule one: do your part. In a few days, you will be assigned a job here in the glade. We can't afford any slackers," he says turning to face me.

"Rule number two," he continued, "never hurt another glader. We have to trust eachother if we want to live I peace here, so we can't go around bashing heads whenever we so feel like it." I nod, motioning him to continue.

"And finally, rule nber three: never go through those walls," he says as I turn to look at the exit that has appeared again between the glades walls.

"Why can't we leave? What's out there?" I ask curiously, with a hint of confusion.

"That there," he pauses, "that's the maze. We've been looking for a way out for almost two years. The walls close very night and open every morning. There are monsters in there. We call them greivers. Terrifyingly that," he said as a frown grew on his lips. "Though, no one's ever seen one and lived to tell the tale. They come out at night. We have people here, there rained runners. They run the maze, mapping it. Looking for a way out. If there is a way out, they'll find it. There the strongest and the fastest of all of us here, but if they don't make it back by the time those doors close," he pauses, shuttering, "let's just say, no one has ever survived a night in the maze." Newt looks back forward and continues to walk. I follow.

"They only come out night? What are they vampires?" I said humorously. Newt turned back to look at me, a serious look on his face.

"No. They don't only come out at night. They always come out ar night. Sometimes even during the day," he says, once again, turning away from me.

I felt bad for joking about something that serious, but I couldn't help it. I was generally an upbeat person, or at least I tried to be.

"What are the jobs here?" I ask.

"Well, there's the Slicers, they work in the bloodhouse, slottering the animals that we eat. Then there's the Trackhoes, they grow most of the food we eat in the glade. There is also the Medjacks, they are like the doctors here. The builders, they build our huts and repair the homestead. And finally, the Sloppers, but trust me, you don't want to be a slopper. Bloody hell, that job," Newt says with a disgusted look on his face just from thinking about being a slopper.

"What's your job?" I ask Newt, curiously. 

"Trackhoe," he says smiling. I look at him and chuckle. He looks at me puzzled.

"Figures," I say. I let out another laugh, "after all, you are name after a lizard." He looks at me, clearly annoyed.

"Not all of us were blessed with normal or half decent names, Eve," he says letting out a slight laugh.

(Author's Note: sorry this chapter is so short, I just need to get some sleep, but I'll continue writing tomorrow.)