Chapter Three

(1st person POV)

          I awoke to the sound of my stomach growling like a beast shut into a cage. I hadn't realized I had been so hungry all day. I guess the running really worked up an appetite. I looked around, it was still daylight. Then, I hear a voice as Newt aproaches the cell door, unlocking it.

          "Oh, you're awake," he turns to me. "I'll let you out if you promise not to run," he says reaching out a hand. I nod and he lifts me up and out of the cell. "I'm sure your filled with questions. I know I was on my first day," he pauses, "but save them for the tomorrow, I'll tell you anything you need to know today. Tomorrow I'll be taking you on a tour of this place, so be ready to wake up early," he finishes motioning me towards him. He starts to walk, and I follow.

          "Remember your name yet?" he asks curiously. I nod and stared down at the mushy grass beneath my feet. Realizing that the shoes I was wearing weren't my own. Neither were the clothes I was wearing. A confused expression briefly washed across my face as I shrugged it off.

          "Hello? Green Bean? Anyone home?" Newt asked as he waves his hand infront of my face pulling me back to reality. I looked up at him as he began to speak again. "Go on, Greenie," he motioned to me, "what is it then?" He was referring to my name.

          Should I tell him? Could I trust him? It was just a name after all, I decided. "Eve," I said, looking back down at the ground, a shade of crimson covering my cheeks.

          "Alright. Eve. A shucking nice name. I like it," he stated, continuing to walk towards a small wooden building.
As we did, I could feel eyes on me, looking me up and down. I felt like prey out here and the boys who surrounded me, the predators stalking me, watching my every move as if determining whether or not to pounce at any given moment. I shuffled back on my feet before hiding my face with a thick wall of my dark brown hair.

          "Eve," I heard someone call out, realizing they were talking to me. The name had belonged to me though it seemed so foreign, as if no one had used it in years. I quickly look up to see that it was Newt standing before me, his arms crossed. I must have stopped while deep in thought. I continued to follow him into the small building like structure.

          "This here," Newt pointed, "this is our homestead. This is where we sleep." I looked around to see dozens of hammocks hanging from sets of short walls, they looked old, dirty, and warn out.

          "You on the other hand, won't be sleeping here," he said with a slight smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Since your the only girl in this hell hole, you get to stay share a private room with Minho," he says in a flat tone with a hint of jealousy slipping from beneath it.

          "Minho?" I asked confused. I hadn't met this Minho yet, and soon I'd be sharing a room with him? Newt looked at me and then walked out the door as I followed.

          "Yes, Minho. He's Keeper of ohe Runners. Don't worry," he says looking towards me smiling, "he's nicer than most of the slintheads here." I look at him, once again, I was deeply confused.

          "What's a runner?" I ask curiously. Newt sighs and continues walking.

          "I'll tell you in the morning. And as I said before, enough with the questions until tomorrow," Newt brushes his hair back walking, not bothering to see if I'm still following him. "Now," he says, "Let's get some food, I'm bloody staving." His accent was beginning to sound more familiar.