Chapter Thirty-four

Only a few minutes until the new greenie arrives, frightened and probably pissing their pants.

The glade had been quiet for the past few days. The runners had apparently went back and found the dead greiver that my brother killed and go something from it that they think could get us out if here.

Meanwhile, I have been stuck in the glade, aimlessly finding chores to help out with since I wasn't deemed healthy enough to run again yet.

I had been eating pretty good and had almost gained a healthy amount of weight back. Just a few more days to go until I get to go back to running the maze.

The gladers all gathered around as the boxes doors shifted open. I pushed my way through the crowd to meet the new greenie, but to my surprise, it was another girl.

"Finally," I say. "Another girl."

The guys were all oooooing and ahhhhing over her by this point and she was still confused and scared out of her mind, so, I decided to do her a favor and get her away from all of those boys.

I began walking with her as she took in her surroundings. I gave her the tour and answered all of her questions. She didn't ask many, but the ones she did were the most reasonable I've heard since I've been here.

Anyway, now it is dinner time and the runners were back so I decided to let the girl sit with us for dinner.

She interested me in ways I couldn't explain. Her hair was a dirty blond color and her eyes were a shade of dark green. Freckles covered her face. She was the definition of beauty.

We sat down with the boys and I introduced her to everyone.

"So, have you remembered your name yet?" I ask, still intrigued by her presence.

"Nova," she says shyly.

"That's a beautiful name," I comment staring into her eyes. She stared back.

"You have beautiful eyes," Nova says to me. I gave her a smile and then looked back at the boys whom I had forgotten where sitting with us.

"Anyway, since Alby is still in a funk, and Newt is second command, what do you suggest we do for her sleeping arrangements?" I ask Newt, trying to focus the attention on someone other than Nova and I.

"The builders did build a hut meant for you, Eve, but I liked sharing one with you so I didn't tell you, sorry. But anyway, Nova can just stay there," Newt says, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Really Newt?!" I say a bit angrily.

"Sorry," Newt apologizes and I shrug it off.

"Sounds good," Minho adds. Nova nods and we all continue eating our dinner.

After dinner, Nova and I went to take showers and I let her borrow some of my soap, hair ties, clothes, etc untill some of her own comes up in the box. She was very grateful.

We went to the bonfire together and talked for hours. We were just now getting tired and so we both headed to bed. I showed her where she would be sleeping and then went to my hut.

I walk in to see Newt sitting at the edge of the bed.

"You seem very happy to have another girl around."

"I am, it's nice to have a female friend. There is way too much testosterone in the glade," I say, honestly. Newt hums while thinking of a reply.

"Mmm, but Minho and I noticed that you did look a little like the rest of the guys in the glade today," Newt says, sounding a little suspect of me.

"What do you mean?" I ask, seriously not knowing what he meant.

"Looking like they want to get in her pants," Newt says with a small laugh that followed.

"I did not," I say, defensively.

"It makes sense now, you know. Why you had the pick of the glade, being the only girl and all, and you chose no one."

"Did it ever cross your mind that maybe I just didn't want to be in a relationship in this hell hole?!" I start to yell, irritated.

"Eve, are you-," Newt starts but I interupt.

"No, Newt. I'm not. Okay? We are just friends, that's all!" I say before getting into bed.

"Fine," he says, laying down next to me.