Chapter Twelve

"Newt," Winston says turning to him, "could you tend to the animals while I teach Eve how to kill a chicken?" he asked. Newt nods and heads into the other room.

Now I was all alone with Winston. Could this day get any worse? I looked over at the chickens, trying to avoid Winston's eyes. I then felt him grab my jaw and turn it so that I was facing him. He pressed his lips against mine as I pushed him away.

"Why the heck do you keep doing that?!" I say, trying not to yell so that Newt doesn't hear. Winston grabs my hand but I pull it away, scowling at him in disgust and wiping my mouth.

"Come on, Beautiful. You know you love it. And as for earlier, going into the deadheads alone, you were just asking for it," he said as a tear slipped from my eye. "Let's get to work the shall we?" Winston says as he hands me a knife. "I'm kind of bored with killing chickens, actually," he says with a smirk. "Let's practice knife throwing, another skill you'd need if you were to become a slicer."

I really hope I don't become a slicer. That would be so so bad. Working with Winston everyday. Killing animals. I don't think I could handle it.

"You go first, face this wall here," he says turning my hips. "Now throw it as hard as you can," he says taking a step back from me. I throw the knife hard. It gets stuck in the wall, perfectly straight ahead of where I threw it from. I could tell Winston was impressed.

Winston then reached his hands around me from behind, kissing my neck as he pushed his hands up my shirt. I see another knife on the table next to me and quickly grab it.

"GET OFF!!!" I shouted, this time louder. I held the tip of the knife to Winston's throat, threatening him as tears streamed down my face. I clenched my jaw, angrily.

"What the bloody hell, Eve?!" Newt says as he stands in the doorway shocked. I quickly drop the knife and storm out of the room crying.

Newt was mad. He had only walked in to see me holding a knife to another gladers throat. But he didn't know the full story.

I ran to the deadheads, hoisting myself up into a tree. I sat there on a branch with my face in my hands. God, what have I done?

I hear footsteps as I see Newt approaching me, he hesitantly climbs up the tree and sits next to me.

"What the shuck happened back there, Eve?!" he said, anger in his voice.

I started to tell Newt what happened as more tears start rushing down my red cheeks. I began hyperventilating. Newt quickly pulled me in for a hug, hus arm wrapped tightly around me.

"I'm sorry," he says, "I'm so sorry."

Later that day after I had calmed down, Newt left me in the hands of Minho to go tell Alby what had happened.

Shortly after, Newt returned. We were sitting at the same picnic table eating dinner. Newt sat down.

"There going to have a meeting with the keepers tommorow to decide Winston's punishment. He should be bloody banished. For now, he's locked up in the pit. I have to attend the meeting because I witnessed some of what took place earlier. You do too, Eve. I'm sorry," Newt says starting to eat. I nod.

"Well, on the bright side," Minho says as he plays with his food, "the box brought us up some more supplies, and your own clothes, Eve," Minho finished.

"Oh, yeah. I'll be right back I'm gonna go get those," I say heading for the box. Newt stands up and follows.

Ably was still unpacking the glader supplies from the wooden boxes when he saw me. "Hey, Eve. I'm sorry to hear what happened earlier. But here," Alby says handing me a large stack of clothes and then continuing, "your clothes."

Newt takes the clothes so he could carry them for me. I blush and thank him. We start to walk off when Alby starts to talk again.

"Oh and there's a small white box in here with a red bow on it. It has your name at the top," Ably says with a hint of confusion, handing me the box. The glader boys around me stared at the box and then me, in confusion. I start to walk away as Newt follows. As I do, I unwrap the ribbon opening the box.

Inside of the box, I saw a hair brush, tampons, hair ties, pain killers, a bra, and a razor for shaving. I had totally forgot about needing this stuff but I was relieved that someone remembered. I quickly shut the box and continued walking as Newt stopped me.

"Well, what is it?" he asked curiously. I turned to him, a but embarrassed.

"Nothing," I say trying to think of a way to change the topic but Newt's eyes were still fixed on the box.

"It's not nothing, let me see," he said pleading with me to show him. I shook my head and Newt reached out to take the box, dropping some of my clothes in the process. I picked up the clothes, and as I did, Newt snatched the box from my hands, looking in it.

"What are these," he said looking at the tampons. I laughed out loud and took the box back from him.

"You really don't know?" I asked as Newt shook his head no. "You know...once a month....girls kind of...," I was trying to make him get the hint but it took him a second. When he did, a dark crimson blush smeared across his cheeks.

"Oh," he said, "sorry." We continued walking to Minho's hut in silence.