Chapter Twenty-three

I woke up to the smell of bacon. Newt stood across the room, pulling on his shirt. I got up from the bed and brushed my hair.

"Morning," Newt says, making the bed.

"Morning."

Newt had made me agree to meet with Clint this morning. He needed to check my vitals to make sure I was doing okay. I hated feeling weak. Looking weak. Newt came with me to go see Clint, even though I told him he didn't have to. I guess Clint must have asked Newt to keep an eye on me or something. We walk into the medjack's hut.

"Oh, mornin', Eve, Newt," says Clint as he motions Jeff to go do something on the opposite side of the room. "Have you uhh, ruled out the cause of you collapsing yesterday,? Clint asks, clearly already knowing why, but not wanting to say it aloud. I look over to Newt, anxiously, who sends me a reassuring smile.

"Yeah. Uhh, Eve just needs to start eating a little more is all," Newt says, holding me hand. Clint nods and pulls out a chair for me to sit in.

"I just need to check your vitals and then your good to go," Clint says as he checks my pulse.

Once Clint had finished up, Newt and I went and sat down at our picnic table, next to Minho. Newt had already talked to Minho about what happened last night so we were all caught up.

"Nice to see that smile back, Eve," Minho says pushing two plates of food towards me and Newt. "I got you guys the good stuff before the rest of the gladers took it all."

"Thanks Minho," Newt says with a friendly smile.

On the plates were bacon, pancakes, and scrambled eggs. I look at the food fearfully. I know I need food in my system and soon.

Newt and Minho start eating. I just sit there picking at my food with a fork. Newt notices me not eating and puts down his fork.

"You've got to eat, Eve," Newt says, caringly. I nod.

"I know," I say, taking a bite of my food. My taste buds tingled. Food in my stomach felt so nice. It felt like I hadn't eaten in ages. Newt smiled at this, and so did Minho.

I finished my food. That's when it hit me. Disgust. I couldn't really tell if it was my mind or my stomach that made me want to throw up. But either way, it was going to happen.

I quickly got up from the table and ran to the bathrooms. I held my hair back as I threw up in the toilet. My stomach hadn't been used in a little while so I guess having food in it made me feel nauseous.

Once I had gotten myself all cleaned up, I went back to the picnic table. Newt and Minho both looked up at me, concerned.

"I'm fine. I guess the food triggered my gag reflex or something," I say, truthfully. They nod.

"You still need food in your system," Minho says handing me a smoothie.

"Thanks Minho," I say, drinking it up, quickly.

Today was the day that I would not longer be the greenie, the newbie. A new glader would arrive. They would come up in the box and be terrified, just like the rest of us. I feel bad that they have to go through what we did. The box still gives me nightmares to this day.

The boys and I finish up breakfast when we here the box alarm. The box would be coming up in a few minutes. About seventeen gladers gathered around the box, Newt and myself included. Minho had already left for the maze, along with Ren.

I could hear the doors rattling as the box quickly traveled up to the surface. Then, it stopped and the thick concrete roof slip into two, revealing a scared greenie. All eyes were on him. Yes, him. It's not a girl. However, this Greenie still came as a but of a shock to the glade.

It was a chubby boy with short curly brown hair. He looked to be about 13. Poor kid. Why would someone send a kid down here? I knew the creators were cruel but this is a whole new level.

The Greenie sat there, shivering in the box. He looked up at all of the boys glaring down at him. They looked scary when I first arrived, so maybe they did to him too.

I pushed my way through the boys and hopped down into the box. I held out my hand and gave the greenie a welcoming smile.

"Hey, Greenie. I'm Eve, welcome to the Glade. Don't worry we're not going to hurt you, trust me," I say softly, trying to make the boy less frightened.

He reached up and grabbed my hand. I pulled him up and out of the box. The gladers were starting to disperse and go back to their jobs. Since I currently was off work until my head is no longer concussed, I would be the one to give the Greenie the tour.

We started to walk around the glade. I told him about the maze and all of the jobs here in the glade. I answered most of his many questions. It was honestly quite tiring. I did enjoy having a kid around though, it lightend the mood. He made funny comments here and there which put a smile on my face.

"Do you remember your name yet?" I ask.

"Chuck," he said proudly. "I'm chuck."

"Nice to meet you Chuck. I have a feeling you and I are going to be good friends. And listen, if any of these guys make you feel uncomfortable in any way or give you a hard time, let me know. I'll take care of it."

Being around Chuck made me feel like a big sister and I liked it. I liked having someone to protect. To care about. Chuck was funny, nice, and caring. I could tell that we are going to be the best of friends.