Chapter Thirty-Seven

(⚠️Lots of TW⚠️)

Thomas and I haven't spoken in days. I don't know why he is avoiding me. It doesn't make sense. If anything I should be avoiding him. He knows my dark past now, not the other way around. I decided that I have had enough of his nonsense. I ran up to him while he was walking in the glade.

"Okay, what the hell Thomas?! Why are you avoiding me?!" I yell, angrily.

"What do you mean?" Thomas says a bit startled.

"Oh, don't play dumb!"

Thomas pauses before replying with, "why didn't you tell me, Eve?! I could have helped you!"

"I don't need your help! I don't need anyone's help! I'm so sick of all of you looking at me like I'm a lost puppy! Pitying me and trying to 'help' me! I don't want your help, nor do I need it!" I yell as I march of into the deadheads.

Newt pov:

"She-she said that she didn't want our help and that she hated us pitying her," Thomas tell me, Minho, and Ren.

"Bloody hell, Thomas. Did she seem panicky? Like was she shaking or anything?" I ask, needing an answer now. If thus was anything like the last time she had one of these outbursts then we needed to get to her fast.

"Yeah, kind of. I guess so-" Thomas started but I cut him off.

"Where is she?!" I shouted, now panicking myself.

"She ran into the deadheads."

"Oh no, we have to go find her, and fast!" I yell as I get up from the table and run into the deadheads, searching for Eve, with Thomas, Minho, and Ren following close behind.

Eve pov:

There I am, reopening my cuts of my arms. This was the only thing that made me feel sane. It calmed me down. I begin to fall asleep as I heard shouting coming from all around me in the deadheads but I was so tired that I couldn't really keep my eyes open long enough to hear what they were saying. I drifted off to sleep. 

When I awoke, I was in the medjacks hut. This time Newt wasn't by my bedside but I saw his coat flag over the chair next to me. He must be in the bathroom or something. I look around the room to see that the only other person there was Jeff. He faced opposite to me and he was cleaning blood out of a cloth in the sink. My blood. My arms were all wrapped up again and numb.

If Newt came back and saw me awake, he won't let me leave. Nowwis the only time I can make a run for it if I don't want to be trapped here all night.

I quietly maneuvered myself off of the bed while Jeff wasn't looking, though I guess he heard because his head snapped up. He looked at me with panic in his eyes. I met his gaze as we were both frozen in place then looked to the door.

"No, no, Eve, wait!" Jeff shouted but it was too late. I'm already out the door. I sprint as fast as I can to the deadheads to hide. I would have gone to my normal tree, but Newt would have known he'd find me there.

Instead, I found a tall tree deep in the deadheads that no one could spot me from. I climbed up it and started to wince as the pain meds were beginning to subside.

Once I was at the top of the tree, I heard shouting. They are probably looking for me now. I feel bad for making them worry about me but I don't want to locked up and held hostage. I let a tear fall from my eye as I heard footsteps. I quickly wiped it away.

"Eve? Eve? Where are you?" I heard Gally say as his voice became more clear.

Dang, did Newt send the entire glade looking for me? I hushed my breathing for a moment when I heard a twig snap from under my foot, which caused Gally to look up. He had spotted me. Shuck.