Chapter Twenty

Ren and I entered the maze. He led the way and I followed close behind. The Maze was much bigger than I had thought. The stone walls were about two or three hundred feet in the air. The dark green ivy was imbetted into each wall. Every twist and turn in the maze, looking just like the last. Thus place seemed pretty easy to get lost in. But I guess since the runners had been making it for a while, that didn't cause a problem for them.

Ren and I has been running for about half an hour when his pace started to slow. "Let's take a ten minute break," he said, pulling out some water from his small backpack.

I nod and do the same, gulping down the water like I'd been trapped in a dessert all my life without it.

"Take it easy, that's all the water we have for the day," he says, pointing to the half empty bottle in my hand. Once again I nod and follow his instructions.

This was the first time I had ever heard Ren talk. His voice sounded deep, and a bit hourse.

"So, in a few days you won't be the greenie anymore. Excited?" He says looking over at me.

"Yeah. I hope they send up another girl. It'd be nice not to feel so alone in that way," I say, honestly.

"I'm not sure I can help you with that but if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here," he says, politely. He grins only a second before it begins to fade.

"I feel that I should tell you something," he says, a hint of guilt in his tone.

"What is it?" I ask, concerned.

He looked up at me, "you know the guys you were talking to yesterday?" I nod. "They uhh-were planning on-" I cut him off.

"I already told Alby to keep an eye on them. I knew they were planning something. Whatever it is, Alby said he'd handle it," I say as i notice a wave of relief washing over him. "Thanks for telling me, though," I say. He nods and we get back to running.

After a few hours we sit down in a corner of the maze to eat our lunch that Ren had packed in his backpack. He hands me a sandwich.

"Oh, I'm not hungry," I say handing it back to him. He nods and starts eating his.

"Wanna play a game?" he says in between bites. I nod. "Okay so it's kind of light a 'get to know you' sort of thing. I'll say something and you just say the first think that comes to mind, but like fast," Ren says, taking a sip of his water.

"Sounds easy enough," I say as he starts.

"Favorite color?"

"Green," I say. That'd an easy one.

"Animal?"

"Fox," I say. I didn't even know I liked foxes. Had I ever seen one?

His pace was getting faster. "Favorite song?"

"Panic room," I say.

"Oh, a good one," he replies. "All good answers," Ren says finishing up his sandwich.

"What about you?" I ask.

"Also green, any type of bird, and favorite song-," he pauses, "well, I don't really know." He stands up and brushed the crumbs off his lap. "Time to start heading back, shall we?" He extends a hand and I grab it, pulling myself up.

I guess I stood up too quickly because the next thing I knew, I had collapsed. Everything went black.

(Sorry this chapter is so short. Warning: there will be some eating disorder related trigger warnings to look out for in the next chapter. So read at your own risk. Love you all! Stay safe!)