Chapter 53 ~ All the shiny things

Start from the beginning

As we approach the stalls towards the back things became a lot more rocky. Literally. We saw less and less gemstones and more of what you would assume where you're run of the mill rocks and stones. There was one stall that had slabs of stone with beautifully layered sediment.

There were four people manning that particular stall, one of them was reaching into the back of a van pulling out more rocks, he looked to be around our age maybe a little bit older. He was tall with unruly dark brown hair, honestly he looked like he could be an older brother to a Izuku.

There were two adults who I assumed were his parents they both looked very similar to him. And then there was a girl probably around the same age that he was she had two spiky pigtails on the sides of her head, heavy side bangs and pointed teeth that reminded me of Kirishima.

As we began to pass by the stall an older woman's voice called out to me "Y-y/n!?" I stopped walking immediately, I felt Katsuki reach out and grab my hand, he gave it a firm squeeze and we both turned around. I could see a snarl on his face at the corner of my eye.

"Darling is that you!? Honey come here! It's Y/n!" The older woman and her husband came running up to me, my free hand clutched onto my bags strap and Katsuki sidestepped halfway in front of me "Who are you? The hell do you want and how do you know Y/n?"

They weren't really fazed by his attitude at all. They were too busy crying, in a rejoicing way. They wore wide smiles and they hugged each other, the husband nodded his head eagerly and looked to the both of us.

"We're Mr. and Mrs. Shindo. You may not remember or recognize us, we haven't seen you since you were a baby! We only recognize you because you look SO much like your parents!"

"Tch, that still doesn't answer my damn question." Katsuki spat, becoming more protective.

"W-wait..." You gently place your arm on Katsuki's shoulder and eased him aside. "How do you know my name? And what do you mean you haven't seen me since I was a baby? You're right that I don't remember you I don't even recognize you. How do you know who I am? And how do you know my parents"

"I'm your father's cousin!" The man exclaimed happily.

"C-cousin? No that's not possible I was told by the hero association that I had no family left when my parents died...they never said anything about cousins....why would they lie about something like that?"

I just kept going not even pausing for a second, not allowing anyone to get a word in, my brain was having trouble processing this new info, seriously i felt like it had a cranp or something!

"I've literally lived a majority of my life alone. I had an adoptive dad who abandoned me apparently to keep me safe and I had guardians that rarely came around, do you know what it's like to not feel wanted!? A-and now you're telling me you're my relatives? Did you even know I still existed up until this point?"

My head was splitting in two, my world was coming to a screeching stop. I could not comprehend what was going on. I don't even know if I can trust these people and I think Katsuki was picking up on that too. I felt him place his arms securely behind my back, he pulled me close to him and snarled.

"Oh honey!" Mrs. Shindo sobbed. "I'm so sorry! We had no idea that you were still alive! When we heard the news about your parents all those years ago we immediately went to headquarters, we knew that they would have any information we needed on your whereabouts. But they told us that...well, that you shared the same fate as your parents..."

Everything around me came to a standstill. Today was supposed to be great I was supposed to finish the day with Katsuki and be happy. Things were supposed to be... I don't know, positive today. It was going so good and now this? Why the hell would they tell me that I didn't have any family, they told all the adults in my life, even my adoptive dad that I didn't have any family, why would they hide it from him too I don't understand.

I felt the color draining from my face. I wobbled a little and Katsuki caught me. The Shindos ushered me over to their stall and had me sit down, the girl with blonde pigtails started fanning me off and the tall dark-haired teen quickly grabbed me some water. He remained quiet and so did the girl but they both seemed very concerned.

"Are you okay sweetie!?" Mrs Shindo questioned with concern as she fussed over me and applied a cold wet cloth to my forehead. "Y-yah...I'm fine." I looked up at Katsuki who was fuming. I could see just slight wisps of smoke emanating from his fists that were balled up. He was clearly just as upset as I was.

"This is bullshit! How the hell do we know you're telling the truth? Why would the association just lie like that? There's literally no reason there's no justification good enough! She didn't deserve all the shit she had to go through dammit!"

Mr. Shindo stood up and rested a hand on Katsuki's shoulder causing him to tense up. "I know, no justification is good enough. I was devastated, I lost three family members that day... Her father was like my brother we practically grew up together. As you could probably imagine I was....a mess of sorts when I heard that Y/n didn't make it. She was my goddaughter."

Katsuki relaxed and unclenched his fists. He let out a heavy sigh and sat on a stool by one of the stalls tables. He slouched over and stared at the ground using his elbows to prop up on his knees he clasped both of his hands together and brought them up to his mouth as if he was in deep thought, his brow was still furrowed and he definitely still looked angry.

"I have quite a few questions of my own for the association. But that's to come later. Y/n, my priority here is you. Now that I know that you surely are alive, I mean really, you're here right in front of me! Oh! Yes I I have something! Proof I have proof that your father was my cousin!"

He ran to the passenger side of his van and began shuffling through the contents in his center console. He returned with a small black book. " Your father meant a great deal to me well, the three of you really. I've kept this with me all these years. Keeping your family's memory alive."

He handed me the small book and I delicately held it in my hands. The leather binding was rough, the edges were worn it was obvious that this book was well loved and used quite a lot. I could hear my blood pounding in my ears I was so nervous to open this

But I did. The first thing I saw were a few pictures of two children, boys. They were laughing in the pictures and playing together. Some of them included adults, assuming that those were family members. It looks like different occasions. I continue to flip through the pages, festivals, parks, backyards, people's houses. So many family members! And these two boys were always together...

Mr. Shindo pointed down at the boy with brown hair, "That's your father. We were inseparable the best of friends, we really were brothers. I was even his best man when he married your mother."

I flipped the page again and saw just what he was talking about. Pictures I'd probably seen as a child but don't remember. I don't have anything in my own house to remember my parents by. I don't have pictures, I don't have momentos...nothing.

I saw a younger version of my mother. She was beautiful, she looked like a model. She wore beautiful white wedding dress and her hair was done up so elegantly. And my father was standing across from her looking as young as a spring chicken, he didn't even have any gray hair which is one of the most significant things I remember about his appearance. They both look so happy, so joyful and alive. Quite literally actually.

More pages held more memories that I couldn't even hope to remember. It looked like Mr. Shindo was also there when I was born, there was a picture of my father in a very similar position that Katsuki is in right now, he was sitting in the hallway at a hospital. The following pictures were the same hospital but...they were of me has a baby...

I suddenly felt someone's arms wrapping around me tightly, I could hear quiet sobs and I could smell clean fresh cologne. I glanced up and noticed Mr. Shindo had kneeled down to hug me and honestly I couldn't stop myself as I hugged him back and cried as well.

Family. Something I thought I'd never really have. I felt like I didn't deserve it after all that I had been through and after all that I had been told... I still honestly don't know if I deserve it but damn it...I WANT it.

(A/N): by the way I know this chapter is a little short but I had to make it quick the next one will be back to normal ❤️❤️❤️