𝟮𝟴 the beginning of the end

Começar do início

"What?" Silenus eyes almost popped out of his head. He reminded Verona of those googly eyed stickers at the arts and crafts place in Camp, and she made sure to whisper this to Annabeth when Silenus was not paying attention to the rest of the campers. It evoked a giggle from her that picked up some attention. "Sacrilege and lies! Grover Underwood, I will have you exiled for speaking thus!"

"Who ends a sentence with thus anymore?" Verona muttered to herself.

"It's true," Percy reinforced, defending Grover. "We were all there when he died. All of us."

"Impossible! You are all liars! Nature destroyers!"

Verona resisted the urge to form her ring clad into a fist and deliver a fatal blow to the elder satyr. Whoever had said respect your elders had never met Silenus, or they would be running in the opposite direction and retracting every word they had just claimed.

"We will speak of this later—"

"We will speak of it now!" Silenus interrupted Chiron, enraged. "We must deal with this—"

"Silenus," Chiron voice was forceful. "My camp is under attack. The matter of pan has waited two thousand years. I fear it will have to wait a bit longer. Assuring we are all still here this evening."

Verona resisted the urge to throw herself off Half Blood Hill, or better yet, maybe her mother would obliterate her into pieces. She wondered how many insults it would take for her mother to get angry enough to turn her into a dove right on the spot. Maybe she could anger Zeus? But frying to death like a french fry didn't seem to be the way Verona wanted to go, she was too pretty for that. Nonetheless, she would have done anything to escape the battle to come at this point.

This had to be one of the largest military operations Camp Half Blood had pulled off. They had gathered in the clearing, the Athena cabin had set up a command tent behind a grey curtain, discussing battle strategy and where to place people. Everybody was clad in armour, weapons strapped on and ready to fight. Somewhere over when she came in, one of the Apollo kids had the decency to hand her a spare bow and arrow, as an extra weapon claiming she was better than most with it. The Hephaestus kids had sent fiery traps surrounding the Labyrinth entrance, and Verona knew if you went further towards Camp, Connor and Travis had ordered the Hermes cabin around until traps were set to lure Luke's army away from the entrance and trap them in place. Silena signalled her forward to her side, looking much more nervous. Her armour was decorated in pink with glitter, making her look like a barbie doll with dark hair and blemish free skin, but Verona knew better than to underestimate Silena Beauregard — she was tougher than anyone had ever deemed her, and one of Aphrodite's most skilled children.

"I want you to watch Drew while fighting," Silena ordered, her breath uneven and voice full of worry for the Camp. She glanced up at where Beckendorf was manning two catapultes, having set up most of the traps around the entrance. "She's going to see how far her charmspeak can travel, and I need you to stop her if something starts to go wrong."

"Watch Drew, got it," Verona nodded along, moving towards where the Tanaka girl had been handed a bedazzled megaphone from the Aphrodite cabin, and was holding it tightly, looking much more pale and sickly than Verona had ever seen her. She joined her side, not saying a word but her presence was enough assurance for Drew. For all their fighting, Drew and Verona were still siblings at the end of the day.

Her head swivelled to face Verona after a moment, dark eyes setting on her. "...You're hair looks good, I forgot to say."

"That was a compliment."