Chapter 46 ❆ Consultation

Start from the beginning

"You've coming seeking me?" he asked.

I nodded and settled before him.

His eyes were trained on me. "I see..." he said.

I lightly raised my brow, wondering if he knew what I had come to see him for. That knowing look in his eyes was very obvious. "Does master know what I came here for?" I asked.

"From afar, it wasn't that obvious, but when you came in, I picked up an unnatural air around you," he told me. "It's not something you can control, it seems. What is it?"

"An aura, I think," I said, gazing at the chessboard before me thoughtfully. He'd already given the first move but the white pieces, which were on my side, still hadn't. I would assume that this game was meant for me. "Mushroom Soup was intimidated by it. I had an easier time in the fight because of it."

"Yes, he moved unnaturally," the Abbot said. "The energy is subtle. It seems that you're wielding your element subconsciously. Is there any particular reason for this?" he asked.

"Tonight's the new moon," I said calmly. "It's when my ability's at its strongest. I still can't control it well, so it's leaking. My mistresses told me to seek you out to warn you in advance. My condition will probably get worse tonight and Mistress Kora has prepared to help me through it," I explained, picking up a pawn from the board and moving it forward.

The Abbot was silent for a bit, watching my moves closely, before picking up another piece from his side and making his move. "You'll be relying on external help to get you through it?" he asked.

I gazed at him. "Is it a bad idea?"

"No," he replied. "But not forever—it's not a bad idea now, but it won't be good either in the long run. You'll have to know how to rein it in yourself without needing to rely on external forces to do so. I think this is a good opportunity to practice. If you continue going on like this, you will never improve."

Our exchanges on the chessboard continued and I furrowed my brow when I realized he'd lured me into a trap. As I debated what to do next, I continued the conversation. "Would you have any advice for me? On how to do it? I know that the discipleship doesn't officially start until after the fight...so I won't hope for anything much."

"Well..." the Abbot hesitated. He gazed at the move I made with my knight and smiled subtly. He remained serene, but I could tell he was happy he'd succeeded in pulling me in further into his snare. "Indeed, I cannot help you much. But while I cannot teach you any techniques, I can give you some advice."

"That would be helpful, and I'd really appreciate it."

"If you're familiar with meditation and the calming of one's thought, then this should help you with wielding the forces of nature—especially where your domain is concerned," he told me. "The Movement of the Seven Dragons, the most basic sequence, has a meditative portion at the beginning. The breathing pattern is important. If you use this pattern steadily for an extended period of time, in the lotus position, it should help you gain a degree of control and awareness towards your skill."

"Breathing pattern..." I continued moving pieces around the chessboard, hiding the oncoming smirk that threatened to pull on my mouth.

To distract myself, I thought back to the Movement of the Seven Dragons and remembered reading about this particular pattern during the introduction. There was not much about it to make an impression of, but I suppose I would have to read back on it to refresh my memory.

"Anyway, tonight, I shall attend," he told me. What little joy he allowed to leak to his face had simmered down as he realized I had regained momentum from our game. "I can explain more later. While you are being assisted, I think we should also take the opportunity to help you with that ability of yours. Even then, I will not be able to help you much considering the nature of your talents."

"It's already good enough that you'll be there to help, master," I said, nodding gratefully at him. "I don't mean to put you on the spot if I have..."

"No need to worry, little disciple. I know the rules well myself," he told me. "By the way," he coughed, "has your...friend mentioned anything about which master he intends to acknowledge? I have been pestered left and right. It seems the monks have assumed your relationship with the boy is very good. If you were to influence him towards something, he would definitely heed your advice."

I raised my brow. "No...he has not mentioned anything to me," I said. Tilting my head, I watched the Abbot's serene face. Even though he hid it from me, I knew well enough what he intended to say...or what his particular motive was. "Do you want him as a disciple?" I asked.

He coughed.

I smiled. "Well, if I was a master too, I'd want Maun for myself to teach..." I said. "But I won't say anything about this thing. I want to leave it to him to decide for himself. I'm sorry, master." I lowered my head. I didn't want to be confrontational. Hopefully, he wouldn't take offense.

"No need to apologize," he said, looking somewhat embarrassed. "I perfectly understand your reason."

"Thank you, master."

I put the last piece down on the chessboard and stood up after bowing.

It was a checkmate.

"You've improved, Evyionne," he said with a smile. "I did not think you would be capable of defeating me after such a short period. To think I was even teaching you a barely half a year ago."

"Thank you for the praise, master," I said.

"Good, good. I won't go easy on you next time."

"I look forward to it."

I left the tearoom with a smile as I left the Abbot mulling about the outcome of the game. Admittedly, I was a rookie a few months ago when I first came to Venerya, but boredom played a great deal in me improving my skills. To think my endless studying and practice would allow me to win against the Abbot brought me great joy.

I went back to the camp and shuffled through my things to look for the standard-issue book on the Movement of the Seven Dragons I had been given. Carrying it under my arm, I wound my way back to the praying grounds, taking note of the time. I still had about an hour or two to go before the fight between Black Flame and myself would begin.

I hatched the book into the first page and sought the breathing pattern that my master mentioned. After following the instructions, I settled into the meditative position and began to execute. The last thing I wanted was summoning death on Black Flame. I did not want to forfeit the battle the second time around either.

I had done it once. And it wasn't so shameful. If I had to do it again, I would have a chunk of my pride bitten off.