Chapter 54

Marco

How foolish was I to think that it would be so easy to leave everything behind and just go away? How did I believe that I could actually be happy and nothing could come between me and Rose? My sweet, innocent Rose was once again a victim of my poor choices. I had brought her to the lion's den without even knowing it. I made her pull the trigger and there was no way I could forgive myself for that.

The way she pleaded with me to believe her, to let her turn herself in was the only proof I needed. I had ruined her life and no matter how much I loved her, I didn't think it was fair to let her suffer with me anymore. I would never forget her empty eyes when she regained consciousness at the hospital. I would never forget how broken she was when I took her home the next day. I had to ask her to go on as usual and return to her daily schedule as if nothing had happened. I hated myself for doing this to her but I didn't want to raise any suspicion.

Some of our lovely associates had learned about my decision to leave and weren't very keen on the idea. I was making much more money for them and legal at that. So, my leaving the leadership and the family altogether wasn't something they could accept. Their plan consisted of kidnapping me or my father and trying to blackmail the loyal ones to accept one of them as leader and force me to continue with the financial side of the business. What hurt me the most was that the traitor had been inside our house for long and no one had suspected a thing. I had let my guard down, sure of everyone having my back and was so distracted by the amazing time I was having with Rose that I hadn't thought about keeping an eye on the families that showed their dissatisfaction at times. The ones that had so easily sided with the Irish a few months ago.

My father was saved by Rose as well, thanks to her applying pressure to the wound, the doctor was able to control the blood loss and operate on him successfully. We were both indebted to her and her quick reflexes. Her courage and concentration amazed me but I still hadn't told her that. In reality I avoided talking to her in general. I knew we had to talk eventually but I couldn't bring myself to face her sad eyes, to answer her questions and admit the only truth. I had failed her again and brought her deeper to a world that it wasn't meant for her.

So, I did what no reasonable man would do. I assigned Gio and Jay with her safety, came round her apartment later and later each night, just to see her sleep and have a talk with my two loyal friends. The men that knew how I really felt about her and always gave me the best advice. But right now, I was not willing to follow it. I was so set that the best course of action was to give her space and time to see that I wasn't good for her. She could have a bright future with someone who would have a normal job, a nice family and a peaceful life. Someone who would keep her safe and happy at all times. Someone like that guy Thomas. Anyone else but me.

She tried to make me talk one night when I woke her up accidentally. She started asking me about my father's health and who the man she had killed was. She wanted to know if he had any family and if she could do something for them. My eyes were lowered to the floor and the only thing that came out of my mouth was 'I have everything covered. Go back to bed. I'll see you tomorrow.' She got up, ran after me but I left. I fucking left her apartment and didn't turn back even when I heard her cry. Jay was there that night and let me tell you that he was not so pleased the next time I saw him.

My parents insisted on having Rose over for dinner to properly thank her for what she had done for us but I always found an excuse to avoid it. I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable or risk anything trigger her. Some nights she would wake up screaming, covered in sweat and disoriented. Most of them, I wasn't even there. I couldn't bear watching the pain I had inflicted on her. I was an awful person and a worse boyfriend. I wasn't strong enough to end things between us so I just waited for her to do it. Being a coward wasn't my thing, yet when Rose was involved it seemed to be the norm.