Chapter 47

Rose

"Tell me something about you." It was a cliché question but honestly I didn't know much about him. We were now lying in bed, facing each other and just relaxing after the morning adventures. It was nice for a change to be able to enjoy simple things. My mind was at ease and my heart happy. I was waiting for this for so long and I was planning on enjoying every minute of it. If I knew one thing, it was that you never knew how long happiness could last.

"What do you want to know?" his fingers were drawing imaginary patterns on my arm and his eyes were focused on my face. He was calm and seemed happy, just like me. It was so nice to know that we were on the same page right now, that he felt just like I did. Lying on my stomach, I rested my head on his chest and looked at him. He had the most heartwarming smile. One look from him and I could forget everything. I repeated the question, explaining that he knew everything about me, but I on the other hand didn't even know how old he was.

"I'm thirty two but I guess it's a little late to change your mind now, if you think I'm too old for you." We started laughing and he held me tighter, preventing me from seeing him. Why did he not want to look at me when he spoke? He was so insistent on eye contact always and it seemed a little strange now.

"Let me see. You already know about my studies, my family and my weird obsession with you." He started tickling me and I knew what he was trying to do. He wanted to avoid opening up to me. He had done the same when he came for me in Boston. He didn't want to share anything that thought might scare me away. But it was different this time. I knew the truth, well as much of it as he allowed and we were together. I had told him then, that nothing would change the way I saw him. I understood now how that simple phrase must have affected him. I needed to know all of him, not just the parts he deemed safe for me. If we were going to do this right, I had to see every side of him.

"That's not fair. You know where half truths and lies lead. I won't let that happen to us. I am stronger than you think and I promise I will keep my mind open. Please let me in. I want to know the real Marco. Don't make me question your honesty and don't you say it is for my own good if I knew less." His grip on my waist was tighter now and his expression was serious, almost pained. Please don't go back on your word now. You promised we would share everything. I repeated the words in my head like a mantra. I didn't want to force him but I couldn't afford being disappointed yet again.

"Okay." He whispered, kissing my forehead and started talking. Well that was easy. Good job Rose. "I took over four years ago, when my father stepped down. Despite what many people think, I am not a fan of violent solutions or radical measures. Although I have resorted to them sometimes, I always try to face problems in a more diplomatic way." I smiled at his last comment but squeezed his arm encouraging him to go on. "My father is very different than me and although he has no real power over our people now, he is well respected and I know that my men are loyal to me but if there was a situation where they had to choose between me and him, some of them would follow my father in a heartbeat." That was clearly something that bothered him and understandably so. Who would want to work with someone who was reporting back to their father? I still remember what that guy had told me at the bus terminal. He knew that I was Marco's girl but couldn't go against Vittorio's orders.

I would come across this man sooner or later. I wouldn't be locked in this apartment for ever. What would he say when he saw me? Did I have to tell Marco that it was him who accompanied his father that night? What would Marco do to him? I couldn't live with myself if I was responsible for someone's death. I should keep my mouth shut and see what happened.

"I've learned to listen, observe and analyze behaviors before trusting someone. I may be constantly surrounded by people who are willing to do anything for me but I prefer depending only on my instincts and myself." That sounded very difficult and sad. How could he carry the burden of this responsibility all by himself? How could he live constantly fearing that someone would betray him? How lonely must he feel?