Chapter 21

Rose

Feeling worn out mentally from both of the unexpected encounters I had today, I just wanted to lock myself up in my room and close my eyes. Being in my parents' house of course eliminated this option. My father was already waiting for me in the living room with expectant eyes and a weird smile. Here we go.

"So, how long have you known him Rosie? How come you never told us about him? Are you seeing him? I mean are you romantically involved with him?" I couldn't help but laugh at his choice of words.

"Dad, who even says romantically involved anymore? Jesus." Joining me, he started laughing himself and I sat by him. He immediately pulled me in for a hug and I nestled in his arms, just I used to do when I was little.

"I'm worried Rosie. Scared even that after everything that's happened to you..." his voice was straining to remain calm and steady. He never broke down in front of me. He always had his brave face on even the night he got the call from the police to let him know I was taken to hospital. I remember opening my eyes and he was next to me making jokes.

"You don't have to be dad. I'm better. I promise. I'm doing well these days. I met Marco recently, that's why I haven't told you about him. He is my friend." Or so I think. He is nothing really. At first he wanted to get to know me, and then he made me believe that he was interested in something more and in the end he said it was all a mistake. Omitting all the details seemed like a good idea. "Really dad. He's here on business and he just stopped by. That's it. Tell me though, is he really so famous? Jake knew about his business too and he started fangirling when he heard his name." a little giggle escaped my lips and I could feel my father's chest vibrating from a silent laughter.

"Jack was here too? I thought I saw his car driving away when I was parking mine but I wasn't sure. What did he want?" he asked concerned and repositioned himself so that he could see my face.

"Yes, he came by earlier just to say hi. Marco appeared just as I was seeing him out." I hated that my parents know only half the truth and I hated myself from protecting Jake and not exposing his lying, cheating self to everyone. Enough of the drama. I couldn't and didn't want to go back to that. New me, new choices, new beginnings. I had to stick to the decisions I made. I wouldn't let anyone stop me from achieving the goals I had set.

"Okay then. So you are seeing your friend tonight?" Typical dad, eavesdropping discreetly. I rose from his embrace and looked him with my scolding look. He raised both his hands in surrender and mouthed a sorry before we burst out laughing. Mom had already entered the house without any of us noticing.

"That's an image I had almost forgotten. Father and daughter having a laugh." Ready to cry, my dad pulled her hand and forced her to the sofa, landing her in the space between us. I hugged them both and we remained silent for a moment, enjoying this simple but so meaningful moment for all of us. I knew I made them worried and sad these past three years. I missed seeing them laugh and I hated having them walking on eggshells around me, every time I visited them. What with the medication, the nightmares, my mood swings and finally the distance I put between us, they were always weary and on edge. Not this time, not anymore. Old Rose would find her way back.

"Okay, enough with the hugs. Go change and wash up. I have mousaka ready. Let's eat and then I need to start getting ready." On hearing the word mousaka, mom made an appreciative sound and stood on her feet, not without asking me where I was going first.

"Just for a walk by the lake. A friend of mine is visiting from New York." I answered while I was already walking towards the kitchen to set the table.

Minutes later, we were all sitting around the table, enjoying our late lunch which was thankfully saved from getting burnt. Mom praised my cooking skills and mentioned how she had missed eating mousaka. She rarely cooked when grandma was alive, but she is a great cook herself. My dad suggested getting dessert from the nearby bakery while mom and I would clean up the kitchen. The minute he left, mom started asking me questions about Marco and the impending "date".