Chapter 24

Marco

That seemed like the best night of my life. Her opening up to me, the way she kissed me and my admitting the way I felt about her were only the highlights. It played constantly in my head and made me smile like an idiot, which didn't go unnoticed.

Walking her home and saying goodnight was the hardest part. I wanted her for the whole night, just sit next to her and listen to her talk was enough for now. It would be a lie if I said that other, not so pure thoughts, hadn't crossed my mind but I was quite certain we weren't there yet. Determined that I would take my time, respecting her wishes and boundaries made me strangely happy. I could make this work. Now that she gave me the green light, I would do anything not to disappoint her.

It might seem strange to everyone that knew me well, but this was the first time I actually had to try to get something I wanted. I was more than okay with that and as a matter of fact it gave me a sense of purpose. Trying to win Rose's heart meant I could escape reality; forget about money, disputes and everything that burdened my days.

In the days that followed, I was the one that initiated contact with her almost daily. Whether it was just a text to ask about her day or a call at night, just to hear her voice. The day she texted me first, I had a stupid grin on my face for hours. It was a simple 'Good morning. I hope you have a great day today', but to me it meant the world. She was starting to warm up to me and I felt a little pushy and clingy for texting or calling her every single day, but she didn't seem to mind.

The time she was away in the conference was the worst. I didn't have any contacts in Minnesota and I didn't want to send anyone after her for fear of her becoming alert. She was always busy and tired and I patiently waited for her to return. Being in New York again would make it a lot easier for me to work my magic, or so I thought.

It was finally Sunday and her flight was due to arrive at six. Jay was the only one I talked to about what happened in Boston. I can't say he took it that well, but he knew better than to argue with me.
He seemed more concerned about Rose finding out about his "other life" and losing her as a friend. Well we had that in common.
My genius plan consisted of trying to leave Rose out of anything questionable or dangerous for as long as I could. She would have to learn the truth eventually, but I intended to delay that until I made sure she would accept my other side as well.

How can you know when it's the right time to tell someone that you are not exactly who they think you are? Will she be able to forgive me for the lies and the secrets I'll have to keep? Will I have done enough to make her feel that I deserve her forgiveness? Those and some other more morbid thoughts were my usual company for the ten days I hadn't seen her.

I asked her if she wanted to try to video call one night, but she kindly declined with the excuse of messy hair. As if I cared about her hair being styled or messy. I just wanted to see her pretty face, her sparkling eyes and that warm smile that brightened my whole existence.

I never knew my thoughts could be so consumed by another person. Never expected to grow such strong feelings for a woman. There is always a first time for anything and even if we are not technically together yet, I wish this were the only time I experienced such feelings for a woman. That Rose would be mine forever and I would be hers only.

Here I was, half an hour early, waiting for her flight to arrive. She told me she would ask Jay to pick her up, but I made sure he wasn't available. Sorry not sorry. She insisted that taking a cab was the perfect alternative. I let her believe that she had won and went to the airport to surprise her.

While waiting for her, stupid images of her spotting me, dropping her bag to the ground and running to my arms had invaded my mind. I was no fool. I knew nothing like that would ever happen. Rose was so reserved, she even blushed whenever I held her hand or kissed her in public. How I loved that innocent part of her.