Chapter 12

Rose

We ate our delicious pizza in an eerie silence. He looked at me the whole time while I tried to focus on my plate. After we were done, I cleaned up the table and taking a deep breath, I followed him to the living room.

"Can I smoke?" he asked a cigarette already in hand.

"Actually no. I never smoke inside the house. I have a small balcony where I ........" he stood up and asked me to lead the way. A small metallic table and two chairs are the only things at the balcony. I used to have plants, but I was never good at taking proper care of them. I was sad after the third time I had to get rid of the dying plants. I gave up and bought a wonderful cactus. It hasn't betrayed me yet. We took our seats and I started rolling a cigarette.

"Can you make one for me too?" he asked and I smiled.

"I don't know. Is it not too vintage for you?" I laughed and he shook his head.

"You remember everything I say, don't you? I must be very careful when I talk." I handed him the cigarette and waited for his reaction. He exhaled, making a comment of approval and we were silent again, watching the dark sky. "If you want to clear your head, just take a look at the sky. Someone told me that once and I find it so helpful sometimes. New York may not provide us with a clear or starry sky, but it still works." He turned his head to me, waiting for something in response. Alright, this is bullshit. He's been trying all night to make a proper conversation with me and I've been behaving like a ten-year-old. Enough Rose. Letting the cloud of smoke vanish in the air, I looked him straight in the eyes and started talking.

"Why did you come here tonight Marco?" nice one. He's already told you idiot. Jesus I'm killing in ice breakers. Well done Rose F for effort.

"I wanted to make sure you were alright. I didn't like the way you left on Saturday and since you weren't returning my calls or texts, I thought to check on you in person. Does it bother you?"

"That you came to my place uninvited or that you care?" I asked honestly, earning a smile from him. He shifted in the small chair and crossed his legs.

"I don't know Rose. Both? Would it be so bad if I cared about you?" he fired back still smiling. It took me a little longer to put out my cigarette, trying to buy me some time.

"Do you like the ashtray? It's a souvenir from the last time I went to Greece. I love collecting souvenirs from all the places I visit. Most of them are back at my parent's house. I only brought the ones I love most with me. Books and souvenirs are the things I spend my money on. You must think I'm weird, but look at it as a hobby. Do you have any hobbies?"

"Rose." He tried to interrupt my incomprehensible rumble, but I'm on a roll.

"I hate shopping, as you have already gathered. My favorite color is blue, but I usually wear black. I have never dyed my hair, although when I was younger it was so blonde. I don't know why they became darker over the years."

"Rose." He insists, but I ignore him, continuing with endless minor details of my life. Things that don't interest him, I'm sure. I'm cut midsentence, when I see him pulling me up. Standing in front of him, I shut my mouth instantly.

"What are you doing?" he asked and I mouthed an inaudible I don't know. "I asked you some very simple questions this evening and I'm still waiting for your answers. I like that you want to share all these things with me, but it's not the time. Do you like me Rose? Because I like you. And maybe more than a friend should. I need to know, before I leave tomorrow. Am I alone in this?" I kept looking at him like an idiot.

"You need to talk honey. You couldn't stop talking just a minute ago and now. .... Am I making you uncomfortable? Do you feel pressured?" Speak Rose. He's losing his patience. He shook his head defeated, held my face with both his hands and kissed my forehead.