Chapter 29

Rose

There was no use pretending that I wasn't scared of him. I asked him not to kill me because that was the first thing that came to my mind when I woke up in that hospital. I remembered most of the events that occurred earlier and as terrifying as it was that I actually got shot, I couldn't forget the image of Marco holding a gun, shooting the assaulter.

My eyes were focused on him and as desperately as I tried not to tremble, I knew I had failed miserably. He rested his elbows on the bed, hands holding his head as he took a deep breath.

"How can you think that I would intentionally hurt you physically? Look Rose I know I have some serious explaining to do but I need you to keep your mind open and not be afraid of me. I can't bear the thought of you being scared of me. Don't ever say that again please." His pleading tone didn't ease me at all.

"Can you blame me Marco? Really? I don't even know you. What do you expect me to think after what happened today? Who are you? I need to know the truth." trying to sit straighter, a sharp pain warned me that this was not the time to play brave. Breathing in and out slowly in an attempt to control the pain, I saw him getting up abruptly with panic evident on his eyes.

"Let me call the doctor. We'll have a chance to talk about it another time. We should focus on your health right now." I reached for his hand preventing him from leaving.

"I'll be fine. We need to talk now and I want you to be honest with me. I can't do this anymore. When I leave this hospital, I want to be sure I am not in any danger and that I can go on with my life. Can you do that Marco? Can you be honest with me for once?" Sitting back down, he sighed and taking a serious expression, he started talking about who he really was.

He explained how things worked in his world but he made a point to bring up only what he thought I could handle, I think. I've been a fool all along. He tried to warn me, he told me about having to keep secrets and how he was not good for me. I still remember Jay asking me if I knew who the Mancinis were. I was so stupid. I was so blinded by my attraction towards him that anything else seemed trivial. Never once did I dare to interrupt him. I wanted him to be done with it. I needed him to confirm that ending what had barely started was the sensible thing to do. That I had no place in his life and that I would be better off without him. That he was an outlaw, the head of a crime organization and I should stay away from him if I didn't want to end up dead.

Listening to him talk not with pride but with pain about his true self, made me want to hear other words from his mouth as well. That he meant everything he had told me, that everything would be alright and we could get past this. That I was overreacting and I had blown the whole thing up. That it was just a job and it wouldn't affect me, us.

But those words never came. He couldn't tell me what my heart wanted to hear because it would all be a lie. I had asked him for honesty and that was exactly what I was getting.

"So that's who I really am Rose. Although I am not proud of everything I do, I have accepted my fate and I try to do what is right for my people. You weren't supposed to be part of my fucked-up life, I was wrong to believe even for a second that you and I could live something pure and beautiful, despite the dark and ugly world I am used to." He stopped and then closed his eyes, as if he was trying hard to control his emotions. I knew that sentiment all too well. I was teaching this shit. I had perfected hiding my feelings and create high walls surrounding me over the past three years.

"Aren't you afraid I might talk to someone, now that I know the truth?" I almost whispered testing the waters, trying to hide my fear. His gaze returned to mine, more serious than before and an expression I hadn't seen before made him seem more intimidating than ever.