Chapter 97

"D-Don't think you're cool just because you saved me." She turned her gaze from mine with a soft blush. "I'm sure it was a skill of yours you have as the Hero of Love. That was probably why you asked to see my panties."

  "Egh. I'm glad that's not the truth. I can only imagine what it would be like to have to do some weird shit like that just to use my power."

  "Hmm. Maybe," I shrugged as I looked around. "Either way, this is strange."

  "What is?" She asked as she walked next to me.

  "We fell down a trap. I get we should have died from the fall, but..." I slowed my walk. "There should have been monsters waiting to feed on our corpses."

  "Maybe they'll come later?" She laughed hopefully.

  "I doubt that," I said as I came to a stop. "Monsters will wait at the trap they set up for as long as it takes." I looked around the walls and roof. "And if that trap fails-"

  "YAAAA!" Xion screamed as a wretched monster lunged out of the wall. It was one of the Kemlits she had mentioned, and I instantly pushed her to the side and sent my knee up into its gut.

  "BELCH!" It hacked up blood.

  "They'll set up another," I said with glowing eyes. The force of impact sent the Kenlit to the roof with a crater where its blood splattered before its lifeless body fell to the ground.

  "K-K-K-Kichirou..." Xion stuttered in fear.

  "What?" I turned to see she was pointing at the roof. I looked up to see the faces of several dozen Kemlit's crawling out of the roof. "...Run...RUNRUNRUN!" I screamed as I took off in a sprint, grabbing Xion's hand.

  "A-Aren't you going to fight them!?" She cried as they chased us. Some of them buried back into the walls.

  "Are you kidding me!?" I exclaimed. "I can't fight that many on my own! And you don't have your spear, so you're no help!" I tripped as one of the Kemlits shot out the wall and attempted to swipe at me.

  "I mean, I can kill them all, no problem. But I can't show that kind of strength in front of anyone." I thought. "Especially not now that my status information has changed." If anyone asked to look at it, they would instantly know.

  That's why I had to play weak. If you didn't stand out, no one cared what your stats were. If you were weak, that was all they assumed. But if you were strong, if you stood out, they'd want to know just how strong you were.

  "You really are useless!" Xion shouted as we turned down the corridors. Kemlits continued to lunge at us through the walls, but we always managed to dodge by a stroke of luck. "What kind of Hero can't fight a few Kemlits?"

  "Says the one who left the dungeon with an entire party!" I rebuttled as I dodged another attack at me.

  "I can't believe I ever thought you were the Guilded Hero of Legend!"

  "Guilded Hero?" I queried.

  "It doesn't matter!" She cried softly as she turned back to see the horde behind us. "We're going to-"

  "There it is!" I smiled wildly as I noticed the mechanism on the floor.

  "Wha-KYA!" Xion cried out as I grabbed her and lifted her bridal style. I stepped on the metal plate and jumped to run on the adjacent wall. The ground below opened, and several dozen of the Kemlits fell in, screeching as they fell to their death. I landed on the other side of the pitfall and turned to look back at the Kemlits on the other side.