Chapter 19

"What? What did she say to you, Kichirou?" Sora asked.

  "I think you mean he," Han corrected.

  "I thought it was a she, too," Rubellia said. I watched the trio squabble when Torappu tugged on my sleeve.

  "Can you not? Who are you, the ghost of Dick Turpin?"

  "What?" I asked. I came off ruder then attended, but that couldn't be helped.

  "I'm whatever you want me to be," They winked. In reply, I blinked slowly.

  "Sure." I sighed heavily before turning my gaze back to the trio.

  "No, really!" They pulled my arm. "I don't just tell that to everyone." They pouted as they sat back down. "Anyway." They clapped their hands together, and the room fell silent.

  "Damn, this person is scary!"

  "I accept you into the guild." They smiled.

  "Huh?" Sora said, sounding baffled. "He doesn't have to go through the two-week process?"

  "There was a two-week process, and you didn't tell me?" I asked with a frown.

  "W-well, yeah. If we had told you, you probably wouldn't have come." I stared at her. She wasn't wrong. "Ah-ha-ha," my staring must've made her nervous because she let out a pitiful laugh and changed the subject. "Anyway, you don't have to do that. You got immediately accepted."

  "I guess," I said as I looked away. Whatever week-long thing I would have originally had to go through, I didn't have to anymore. There was no point in sulking about it.

  "But why?" Rubellia asked Torappu. "I mean, I don't mind. I'm happy. But no one's ever just been accepted in like that before."

  "Oh?" I listened in interest with closed eyes and crossed arms.

  "The reason is simple." Torappu reached over the desk and touched their hand to my arm once again. "I like him." I opened my eyes to stare into theirs. "He intrigues me." They smiled lasciviously, causing me to yank my arm away quickly. I saw Sora and Rubellia frown at Torappu's actions. All they did was smile even more.

  "So, can I leave now?" I asked. I wanted to go quest. It totally wasn't because of the uncomfortable vibe I was getting.

  "Sure, but first, I need to speak to you alone," Torappu said, their voice serious. "So please, step outside," they told the trio. They didn't argue or make any faces this time. They just did as told.

  The only people left in the room were me and Torappu, and I didn't like that. The atmosphere was thick, and I knew something was about to be asked. Something I'd been hoping to avoid being asked and having to answer.

  I don't know how they figured out I wasn't from this world, but they did. Maybe it was the way I was acting? Perhaps the fact that I had been trying to avoid being found out gave off the vibe that I was trying to hide something. I mean, even I knew that once you mentally and physically tried hiding something without it being natural, everyone sooner or later would find out you were holding secrets. There was a difference between trying to hide something to save face and hiding something because it just didn't cross your mind.

  But even if they did know, I would just answer honestly. I didn't know how I ended up in this world or even why. I just woke up, and where I stood is where I was at.

  "So, Ki. You don't have Mana, do you?"

  "Wait...that's what it's about?! And here I thought they knew I was from another world. I prepped for the wrong test!" But even them knowing that fact was dangerous. I feared what action they would take. But I felt no hostility, so I replied calmly.