Chapter 85

"SISTER!? WHAT?! BUT YOU SAID YOU WANTED MY BABIES! AND HOW ARE YOU ARE READING MY THOUGHTS!"

  "I told you, it's because I'm Nana." She giggled again. "And you're Bunny."

  "That still doesn't explain anything!"

  "Ohhhh, I see what you're doing, Bunny," she chuckled as she wrapped her arm around mine. "You're playing Human."

  "Huh?"

  "I get it." She tiptoed to whisper in my ear. "We Evolved Monsters have to be careful with our identities. Especially you, Bunny. You're the Rabbit of the Gilmesh Forest. The strongest monster to ever have lived. If anyone found out you evolved into a Human form, they'd kill you."

  "How did you-"

  "Do you think I could ever mistake my brother's fighting style?" Her nose twitched as she smiled wide.

  "...." I said nothing. I didn't know what to say. The woman before me was clearly crazy. She was saying she wanted me to have her babies, yet then said I was her brother. Yet...she also knew that I was an Evolved Monster, but more importantly, she thought I was the Rabbit of Gilmesh Forest.

  "I'm not though!" I cried. "I only ate the damned thing!"

  "Ate what?" She tilted her head.

  "Ah! N-Nothing!" I waved my hands in surrender.

  "So," she pulled my arm, and we began walking. "What made you change your mind?"

  "Change my mind?" I repeated in confusion.

  "You said you didn't want to evolve, even after I did," she puffed her cheeks. "What made you change your mind? And why didn't you come find me after you did?"

  "Uhh...that's...hard to explain. I...sort of lost my memory of everything before I evolved."

  "Ah, Evolutionary Amnesia? Yeah, I heard that can happen to some of us." She turned her head away. "Damn! If I had known, I would have said you were my mate and not my brother!" She cursed under her breath.

  "Hey! I heard that!"

  "I said that out loud?" Her eyes widened.

  "Egh. That was way too like me."

  "Of course, it's like you. I'm Nana, and you're Bunny. I'm your sister. But that's not important." We turned down a street and onto another. "You said you have amnesia, so I'd be glad to catch you up."

  "...Okay. But why are we here?" I asked as we stopped in front of what looked like a restaurant.

  "Because I'm hungry. And you need to treat your sister after being out of her life for so long." She frowned.

  "Right....Understood."

  Nana had evolved five years ago, according to what she told me. She, too, was a Rabbit, a species of monster ingenes to the Gilmesh Forest. I, Bunny, aka the Rabbit or Phantom Rabbit, was her brother.

  When she evolved and gained her Human form, she begged me to evolve with her. She wanted me to join her on her new journey of living life as a Human in the city and not as a Monster in the forest.

  I had declined. I, or rather Bunny, didn't want to mingle with the Humans after what they had done to the Demons all those years ago. And because the Demons were gone, Bunny had decided to take matters into his own hands by helping those in need, despite his anger towards them. That was the start of the Phamtom Rabbit.

  "They killed the only person who ever gave me a challenge. For that, I will never forgive them. That's why I will show them the power of a true monster. That's what you said," Nana explained.

  As it so happened to turn out, Azrael and the Rabbit had it out for each other. I knew that already from what Sabrina had told me before, but Nana had more information. Azrael had apparently run into Bunny after he cut the Demon's presence from the world.

  That act had caused monsters that only Demons could handle to run rampant on the land, murdering Humans, Elves, and Beastkin alike. Of course, the Demons were blamed.

  The people said the Demons abandoned them, and some said it was the uprising of the Demons and that they were letting the monsters weaken the population before attacking themselves.

  That was what started the true war. The true reason the Demons were wiped from existence. It was because of Azrael's decision to cut contact with the other races after the loss of Sarah.

  That also meant the vision I had seen, where the Human killed Sarah, was the true start of the war—the start of it all.

  Regardless, Azrael had come across Bunny when he was searching for the one who killed Sarah. His search had led him to the Gilmesh Forest, where the two sensed each other's power and immediately clashed heads.

  "You said the Demon King was the only opponent who ever had your heart racing so fast you thought you would overheat." Nana smiled softly. "I used to love listening to the stories of your battles. I was sad when you told me you didn't want to evolve with me." Her hands grasped the cup of tea that rested between them. "I realized I wouldn't hear them anymore. I wouldn't be able to see you anymore. I wouldn't be able to talk to you anymore or sleep next to you like we used to."

  "...Nana," I started after a short pause. "I'm sorry. I should have evolved with you back then. I just...felt like I wasn't ready to move on." Regardless of whether I wasn't the actual Rabbit, she was hurting. I saw it in her eyes. And if Nana and the Rabbit were truly siblings, he never should have left her alone. "I never should have left you alone..." My mind trailed off as visions of memories I didn't recognize flashed through my mind.

  I saw a small gray rabbit sitting on a cliff. A pink rabbit was next to him, and they were singing. The vision changed to the pink rabbit being yelled at by her parents, and the gray rabbit stepped between them. They scorned him, told him he was better than her, and that he shouldn't be playing sibling. The visions ended as Nana spoke.

  "That's okay because you're here now, right?" She smiled. "Also," she rested her cheek in the palm of her hand and rested her elbow on the table. "Why are you wearing that mask?" She poked it with her finger.

  "That's...a complicated answer," I laughed sheepishly.

  "Take it off. I want to see how handsome my brother is." She reached for it, but I jerked back. "What? Do you think you're ugly?" She giggled. "I thought I was at first, too, but then all the Human men started flirting with me, and I realized I'm pretty cute, aren't I?"

  "Conceited."

  "Don't call me that! And hurry and take it off! Let me see! Let me see!" She cried as I held her wrists. "Fine! Don't!" She pouted as she leaned back. "But you have to take it off eventually!"

  "Maybe," I shrugged. "But until then," I stood from my chair and stretched. "I'm going to leave you guessing."

  "H-Hey! Where are you going? Don't leave me again, you damn bastard!" She yelled at me as I took off into the sky and back towards the arena to meet up with my party.