13:no strings attached

It was a sleepless night. All I could focus on was the clock ticking, the silence that overwhelmed my ears. I shifted on my side of the bed for most of the night.

With time, I got out of my room and went downstairs to the basement, grabbing a blood bag. Time went by as I sat in the living room.

The front door opened and by instinct, I pinned whatever came in againts the wall. The red glow of my magic revealed Damon struggling to breath; I let him go.

"What are you doing awake? It's like four in the morning!" He whispered.
"What are you doing out at four a.m, huh?"
"It's Caroline's mom"

I stood up straight, processing what he said.
"What it is? What's wrong?"
"It's the cancer"He muttered.

My heart dropped, "again?... does Elena know?"
"No. I left her here, Stefan and I were at the hospital with Caroline. He stayed but I came back to get your sister"
"Can I come?"

He hesitated, but nodded and I went to grab my shoes. Elena and I shared the same look, neither of us wanting to face the truth.

Damon drove us there as fast as he could. I got out of the car as soon as he put it in park and we ran to the front desk.

The three of us found Caroline sobbing with Stefan by her side in Liz's room. I tried my best to listen and find a heartbeat, but there wasn't. I didn't even get to say goodbye.

My eyes flooded with tears and my hands traveled to my head, resting them there as I tried containing myself.

Elena stood with me as tears ran down our faces. She pulled me into a hug, I let out shaky breaths as I was not trying to break down in a hospital.

"We lost her" I whispered,
"I know"

We tried comforting eachother before going to Caroline. I walked into the room, Caroline was standing with Stefan. Her face showed she was hurt but she wasn't crying anymore.

"Care... let's go home"
She shook her head. "Caroline-". Before I could say anything else, she collapsed into my arms while letting out her loud sobs once more.

I rubbed her back and Stefan helped her out of the hospital into the car. The rest of us also started heading out, shortly behind them.

The car ride back was painful. Pure silence but you could clearly feel the intense, sad mood on everyone. When we pulled in to the driveway, the sun was up and by my guess, Kai and the twins were probably awake.

All five of us walked in and Caroline immediately walked into her room. Kai aproached us, "What's up with her?" He asked loudly.

I gave him a look and shook my head, gesturing that it was not the time. He slowly nodded and told me that the twins were in the kitchen eating their breakfast.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

The day went by slowly as everyone was mourning the loss of Liz. I explained to Kai and the twins what happened.

As much as I told Caroline to take it slow and process everything, she was already planning the funeral.

She was sending people around and buying things. Everyone just followed her since we didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

Caroline sent me to buy flowers so I left he kids with Kai and started taking trips to random shops. I ended up having to go on a long drive to get the specific flowers she wanted.

On my way there, I noticed a bar and stopped there for a bit.
"A bourbon, please" I set my jacket down on the back of the chair.
"Considering you look pretty young, I'm going to need to see some type of I.D"
"No, you don't" I compelled.

The bartender served me my drink and I sat there for a bit, eating some peanuts that were in a basket. As I made my way out, a guy stood in front of me.

"You look-"
"Beautiful, I know. Can you get out my way?" I gestured towards the door. He got visibly upset but I also noticed he was looking at my chest.

Before I could move the guy myself, I got interrupted.
"Hey, pal. Her eyes are up here", A strong arm snaked around my waist.

I could recognize that voice from anywhere.

The guy huffed and walked back to his table. I turned around and met with a familiar face.
"Brandon"
"Andrea"

"What are you doimg here? Come to see me?" He asked. I chuckled;
"Nope, today is a rough day"
"Oof, tell me about it"
"Caroline's mom died early this morning"

"Caroline, as in the tall blonde?"
"Mhm. She is coping but by 'coping' I mean she is already planning the funeral. She sent me over here to buy some flowers she wanted".

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

We talked for a bit, catching up with eachother.
"How are the girls?" He asked, taking a sip of his drink. I let out a sigh.

"Well... we are working on getting the magic in control; but we recently found out that Adira is a siphon"
"Woah"
"Yeah I know."

"Is Airis one too? Or..."
"No, just Adira; So it gets a little hard to make sure we are keeing everyone safe but also teaching her about the things she need to keep in mind" He nodded.

"Anyways, enough about me. What about you?"
"Well I live in this town, got a house and well... lonely as always" He laughed out.

"Really? No girl yet? I mean look at you, there is no way you aren't getting girls" I said, he laughed.
"There's was one, yeah. But it just didn't work oit, I guess.

I hummed in response, looking down at my hands. "You and uh- Kai stil going on?"
"Yeah, we are. It's just... we hut a rough patch right now but we're working through it"
"Oh. If you weren't, I was going to shoot-my-shot."

We laughed and talked for a bit more aboit everything that was happening to our lives and how different it's been. I was getting ready to start heading back to Mystic Falls, so I started saying my goodbye.

"Well, I'm going to head home"
"Yeah, yeah. Can I hug you?" He asked.

I pulled him into one, the nostalgia feeling coming up. His hands rested on my lower back.
"I'll uh- see you around" He winked and walked out, giving me one last look.

I furrowed my eyebrows as feelings stirred up from inside me.

Old ones.

Not the ones I want to feel...

a/n: YALL, I am back!! so so soo sorry that I did not post for like a week. but I got a story for yall. So I recently graduated and whatever, but then I had this pain in my stomach but like a strong one. and jt turns out my apendix was about to burst so i literally went into emergency surgery on monday. that's where i've been! in the hospital and thankfully i am completely fine now and i just got back home so yeah! i hope you enjoyed this chapter, we just reconnected with Brandon, what do we think about that? thanks for all the votes and support yall have been showing, bye! <3💓