T H I R T Y S I X

END;

I wake up with a big headache.
I get out of the armchair where I sleep temporarily and almost stumble, given the poor balance I have in the early morning.
I don't know why my head hurts so much since last night I just watched some TV and nothing else. Not that I remember what I saw, but I don't think that program was the cause of my current headache.
I'm gonna go to the kitchen and get an aspirin or whatever my mom keeps in the house to help with headaches and sit at the kitchen table.
I feel a big hole in my chest, like someone ripped my heart out and didn't even try to fill the hole it left.
Come to think of it, I don't even know what day it is.
I really don't think I want to go to school today, since I hardly remember my name.
Layla Zysk. Layla means night, or according to others, it means intoxicating, while Zysk instead is a nickname that the Poles gave to someone who was known as a cunning opportunist.
I don't even know why I know these things... I never looked for the meaning of my first name, let alone my last name.

"Why are you up so early?"
my father asks, accustomed to seeing me up at the last second to go to school

I shrug. Hearing his voice makes my headache increase, although I think the aspirin is slowly doing its duty.

"What time is it?"
I ask

"It's half-past seven"
he answers, making himself a coffee

"I don't feel like going to school today..."
I complain, leaning my elbows on the table

My father looks at me frowny, though slightly amused
"You haven't been to school in months."
he tells me, naturally
"We've been looking for a work for you since November."

I look at him confused.
It's like there's a hole in my head that I can't fill... if I try hard, one of the few things I remember is me saying goodbye to Robert, my ex. Why is there nothing in between and why did I say goodbye to him?

"Amnesia?"
my father asks, smiling

I smile back, even though I'm not very calm. Right now, all I know is that no matter what's happening to me, I'm going to spend the day in my armchair, without thinking about anything, because otherwise I risk going insane.
My dad gets ready for work, followed by my mom who just got up, and I'm going back to the beige armchair in the living room. I close my eyes, striving to get my thoughts in order.
Complete void.
I put my face in my hands, feeling something cold touching the tip of my nose. I don't remember ever buying such a bracelet... it's very nice though. Silver, with some black beads and moon-shaped charms. While my mother is having breakfast, she asks me what I did last night, since apparently, I was talking in my sleep. She says he heard a few words in Latin and I said my friends will come to know everything. Friends? I have no friends. And I don't know Latin.
Maybe that's why I feel so bad... because I had some kind of nightmare.

"I've heard you repeat Protego many times"
she tells me
"Stop watching that TV show with dragons... maybe-"

"Mom, Game of Thrones is gorgeous and they don't speak Latin anyway."
I affirm, cutting her off

Protego? I don't even know what that means. I greet my parents who are going to work and close the roller shutters. I just want the darkness around me.
I don't know why but I've never felt so sad... I'm used to loneliness, it doesn't bother me too much, but today it's like everything has changed, when in fact I don't think anything has changed. I feel completely empty.
I'm torn whether to turn on the television or not. I know it is not the best remedy for headaches, but if I still hear only silence, I could lose my mind. Before I look for the remote, I go to the bathroom to wash my face.
Why aren't my things on the sink? I look around, not finding the products I use to make skincare, nor my perfume... this is definitely strange. I just wash up with water, then I'll go find a jumpsuit to wear to stay in the house. I can't find anything.
It's like all my stuff just disappeared. I wonder where my mother put them...I go back to the living room to turn on the TV when someone rings the doorbell. I snort, thinking I'll have to open up in my pajamas, even if in the end I don't care that much... Out of the corner of my eye, from the only window with the roller shutter up, I see my parents still out of the driveway... I thought they were already halfway to work... so who's ringing the doorbell? I look through the peephole who it is.