Another Life

Courtney's POV-

I couldn't tell how long I sat in Alcina's embrace as I went over all the faces that were now dead.

I sighed, "I think I'm fine now," I announced as I sat up from the couch.

"Are you sure?" Alcina asked.

I nodded.

"Please come down everyday for tea, I promise news like this won't always come," Alcina reassured.

I gave her a weak smile before making my way back to my room.

I sat down at the desk and looked out the window, It had been odd, breaking down in front of someone like Lady Dimitrescu and being allowed to call her by her first name.

That really wasn't the issue though. Breaking down in front of Alcina and her willingly comforting me- it brought this feeling.. it was something I couldn't fathom and explanation.

All I can do now is try and forgot the innocents, the situation with Alcina. I let out a long sigh.

I took off my father's ring and began fiddling around with it. It felt like he was still there.. his presence of something.

It made me smile, the memories of him, when he taught me how to shoot a gun, how to hunt, how to drive, how to do most anything.

A few hours had gone by and I had realized I hadn't ate anything. I got up from the desk and exited the room.

With how Alcina treated me she should've had her new servants get me something.. Right?

I made my way down a hall when a servant grabbed my arm, "Ah miss Wheatley lunch is ready now come,"

Alcina had made sure I got food I suppose. I let the servant lead me to where I'm guessing the kitchens are.

"Alright miss Wheatley, I apologize that you'll be eating with us but.. I don't think you'd like Lady Dimitrescu's diet nor her daughter's," The servant explained.

"Oh- it's quite alright I don't mind at all," I reassured the stressing maid as she pulled out a chair for me.

One the table was ham, potatoes, and a mix of cooked vegetables. The servants began serving themselves so I followed suit.

I missed supper yesterday and breakfast today so I was trying my best not to be rude and shovel the food in my mouth.

Another servant entered the kitchen, "Miss Wheatley, Lady Dimitrescu asked me to deliver this to you,"

She handed me a letter, "Thank you," I said and I put the letter in my pocket.

I continued silently eating, I really didn't feel like talking with complete strangers.

After I finished the servants said that they'd deal with my dishes.

I left the kitchen and grabbed the letter, one the front was my name written in a beautiful font.

I broke the seal and read the letter

Courtney, I am truly truly sorry about the events of earlier today, please later after dinner come to my chambers. I do want to make it up to you. Even though I might not be able to bring your loved ones back.
Also my daughters are very excited to meet and speak with someone like you Courtney. As I said before, they won't hurt you they just want to be friends. hopefully we can come to a compromise about me taking you away from your family-

Alcina Dimitrescu

————-

Hello, I hope you are all enjoying this story so far! I'd like to give credits to my absolutely amazing friend envyellie- She helped me come up with ideas for this story and I wouldn't be at this point without her