68. Orphan

"So, you'll be there right? The party starts at 10 p.m."

"Yeah, I will. I don't have anything better to do anyway. My boyfriend would be busy with lessons so I won't be able to talk to him either. Will my parents be there too?" Jungkook asked.

"Yeah they would. Mr. and Mrs. Jeon were busy so I thought I would inform you myself." Ara smiled.

Jungkook returned the smile and looked down at his phone. He just blankly stared at it and scrolled at nothing. The phone displayed his home screen, a wide-angled picture of Taehyung and him in front of a giant rollercoaster. One that would look horrendous and horribly terrifying to someone who feared carnival rides. But Taehyung and Jungkook had had a blast that day, they ranked that date amongst the top 3 most amazing dates they had had. So, he wasn't really looking at or reading anything on his phone, he just used the device as a means to reduce the awkwardness in the conversation. He had known Ara for a week and half now, but they were still not even near comfortable with each other, even as colleagues. 

So he looked at his phone, and looked at Taehyung's huge boxy grin. A few months in their relationship, Jungkook had realized how rare and unique Taehyung's smile was, it just made him love it even more. He stared at his face and was about to smile as he started thinking about his boyfriend before Ara's high pitched voice disturbed the silence.

"Uhm, if you don't mind, may I ask you a personal question?"

Jungkook looked up with a soft frown, he locked his phone and put it into his pocket as he nodded his head.

"I heard about what happened with your boyfriend and parents back in South Korea. Is everything okay now, like, is he fine?" Ara's eyebrows were slightly twisted in worry too as she looked at Jungkook with a soft gaze. She knew this was a sensitive topic for him, so she wanted to be as careful as she could. 

Jungkook sighed as he began speaking, "Fine is a very subjective word." He sadly smiled.

"He's choosing to ignore the fact that that incident ever took place so there could be peace in our relationship. He smiles and laughs like nothing ever happened, and it may seem like he's 'fine' to you and me. But deep down, I know he isn't. His parents have always been very open with him being gay, while my parents are the complete opposite. So it's a little difficult for him to cope up with this new, unusual change in perspectives. But, to his defense, he's doing absolutely amazing. I've never seen someone so strong." Jungkook smiled like a lovesick puppy, one that he was for his Taehyung. The only reason he was still sane in the United States with his parents by his side all day long was because of the constant and frequent texts and calls he exchanged with Taehyung. If it weren't for him, the boy would've gone crazy by now. 

Ara looked at him with a smile, "You really do love him huh? He seems to be very lucky to have you."

Jungkook shook his head instantly, "Nah, not at all. I'm definitely the luckier one."

As soon as he was done speaking the sentence, his phone rang in his pocket. He removed it and flipped the screen to show 'TaeBear✨💜' on the screen with his signature bunny smile.

"Looks like he heard us all the way from Seoul." Jungkook chuckled as Ara laughed.

"Please excuse me." He said and walked away.

From the distance, Ara heard Jungkook speak, "Was just telling Ara how lucky I am to have you baby." 

She smiled in adoration and was about to leave the office building to go to her house too before she heard Mr. Jeon's voice from beside her, "Ara, could you please come with me?"

Assuming he had to tell her a few things related to work, she unhesitatingly followed him.

Though, it was when Mr. Jeon started locking the door of his meeting room did Ara get suspicious.