was there any chance?

Above: the breakfast place featured later in the chapter

____________

Ever since that fucking proposal I haven't been able to sleep. I keep waiting for a text from Maddie saying, "she said yes" or a text from Jack saying "sorry buddy, she's engaged" and it makes me sick. 

Was there any chance at all that I got through to her? It's been over a week since I was at Evelynn's house, begging like a child for her not to get married. For some reason, I felt like I had gotten through to her, but I haven't heard from her in awhile, so something is telling me that maybe I didn't. 

The only positive thing to come from this has been the music I've been writing. It turns out that when the girl you're in love with is about to become engaged to someone else, you can really turn out some solid lyrics. 

"I think this one is the best one you've written." Jack said as he shuffled through some lyrics I was writing the other day. "Gee, thanks." I said sarcastically. "No, I'm serious, I get that you're really going through it right now but at least you're gonna get a hit song out of it." Jack shrugged. 

"You still haven't heard anything?" I asked him, leaning back onto my couch. Jack came to my house almost every day after he finished work to give me an 'Evelynn update'. Just to be clear, I did not ask for this, he just started doing it. 

"No, but today she was in a good mood. Way happier than she's been the past few days, so I feel like she's made up her mind and is now probably going to fire me and Maddie." Jack sighed. "Don't be ridiculous, she would never do that to you guys." 

Before Jack could answer his phone started ringing. "Hello?" He answered it. I ignored the distraction and began to clean the dishes we had made eating pizza. 

"Okay, you're on speaker." Jack said a few moments later, which caught my attention. "It's Maddie." Jack said and I nodded my head. "Can Harry hear me?" Maddie asked. "Yeah, I can hear you. What's up?" I asked, leaning on the kitchen island beside Jack.

"I'm on my way to your house. She said yes." Maddie said, her words stabbing me like thousands of knives to the heart. 

No. No. No.

"No fucking way." Jack's mouth gaped open as he tried to process what Maddie said. 

"Harry, are you okay?" Maddie asked, her tone sounding concerned. I took a deep breath. "I just can't believe it. I thought I got through to her, I thought for sure she was going to say no. I just can't believe this is happening." I felt myself slipping and I slowly sank to the ground, putting my head in my hands and allowing tears to fall. 

"I'm almost there. See you guys soon." Maddie said before hanging up. Jack sank to the ground beside me and put his hand on my shoulder. 

"I'm so sorry, man. This is so fucked up." Jack consoled me. I couldn't bring myself to look at him though as I buried my face further into my knees. 

The door opened and closed and Maddie threw her stuff onto the couch before coming to sit down beside me and Jack. 

"Harry, I'm so fucking sorry. This shouldn't be happening. I can't believe she is going to marry that piece of shit." Maddie said in disbelief. 

"How did you find out?" Jack asked. "I was leaving the office and he stopped by to bring her dinner. Evelynn is working late tonight so I guess he thought it would be nice to come eat with her at work. Anyway, I was packing up my bag and I heard her say that she'd thought a lot about it and that she wanted to marry him. Then that was that. I got out of there before they started having sex in her office." Maddie said with a bitter tone.