44. The Happy Rabbit (Casey)

I hate shopping. I really do. I feel like a lost puppy in these enormous supermarkets. This one is so big that occupies the whole first floor of the mall. Avery, on the other hand, is in his element. He's bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm and determination to fill my fridge with healthy food. He's even carrying a list, longer than my arm.

   "He's going to be good," Ave is trying to calm Lilly, pushing a backpack in her hands. She is pouting dramatically and muttering that she does not want to wait outside with Mozart. "Here are his toys. Just give him one If he gets restless. He'll start chewing it and won't try anything."

   "He's bigger than me," she frowns. "I won't be able to stop him if he decides to run away."

   "Why would he do that?" Ave blinks innocently, although, we all know that the rascal does not need any particular reason to do it. "He's tied to the bench. Just sit here and wait for Bobby. You don't have even to pay attention to him."

   "Fine!" Lilly snorts, plopping on the bench in defeat. "I want a box of French macarons, the chocolate, coffee and red fruit ones. I can't believe the things you two are able to make me do."

   She squints at Mozart, full of suspicion. It only makes him wag his tail more energetically as if showing her that he's all about being good.

   "Come on!" Ave pulls me by the sleeve towards the entrance before she changes her mind.

   "Are you sure?" I hesitate.

   "Just walk," he urges me. "We'll be back in no time."

   The cart is overflowing with groceries in thirty minutes and we haven't even reached the middle of the list.

   "What the hell am I going to do with these?" I point to a bunch of weird, strange looking things. I can't even tell if they are fruit or vegetables.

   "This is green artichoke," he rolls his eyes. "It improves your liver health and digestion, lowers the bad cholesterol and blood pressure and contains a lot of nutrients that..."

   "Arti..what?" I huff. "One thing I can tell you for sure, they look gross. I'm not putting one of those in my mouth. My blood pressure is alright and, as far as I know, my liver works just fine. Besides, I have no idea how to cook them and my fridge isn't big enough to hold even half of the absurd stuff you bought."

   "I'll cook," Ave firmly states and goes on throwing more strange things in the cart.

   "We'll have dinner out," I don't give up. "We can't carry all of this with us."

   "Don't worry. We'll leave everything at home on our way there. We are going to the beach restaurant that is near my house," Ave smirks with a glint of victory in his eyes.

   "Oh, then I want ice cream," I pout, only because I know that he is not planning to buy any.

   "Bunny, it's not on the list," Ave waves the folded peace of paper under my nose.

   "So?" I raise a brow and pout more.

   "What kind?" he sighs resignedly.

   "Chocolate chip cookie dough, strawberry cheese cake and Irish cream," I beam. His eyes widen, but he purses his lips and heads to the freezer without uttering a word. "And don't forget the macarons," I shout after him. I feel a little guilty. He's only taking care of me, but I really think this went too far.

   We're finally done an hour later. My feet hurt and the food is enough for a whole wedding. 

   "Oh, I forgot something. I'll be back in a second," Avery blurts and runs back into the mall, leaving me with the cart at the exit. He looks kind of suspicious, but I decide not to muse on it and head to the car which is in the middle of the vast outside parking area. 

   He's still nowhere to be seen when I'm done unloading the bags, so I head to the bench to tell Lilly that we can go. She already has a company. Bobby, Summer and Danny are there, cooing at Mozart who is proudly walking around unleashed.

   "Hey Casey!" they greet me, "Where's Ave?"

   "I have no idea," I shrug my shoulders. "I think he forgot to buy something and went back in. Guys, it was not a good idea to let the dog loose."

   Avery finally appears with a package, wrapped in brown paper in his hands. To prove me right Mozart immediately jumps and dashes towards him. 

   "No! Down! Sit down!" Avery shouts but it's too late. Mozart bites the package and they both start pulling in two opposite directions. "Fuck! Who let him run around. Let go! This is not for you! Shit! Bunny, do something!"

   The hustle and bustle is getting bigger. The passers-by are starting to turn their heads curiously. I hurry with the leash in my hand to try to pull the dog away. He, however, gives up on his own, proudly chewing the wrapping paper which was obviously his primary goal.

   "Holy shit!" Summer squeaks. Suppressed giggles can be heard all around. The blood freezes in my veins. 

   Avery is fidgeting in his place, holding awkwardly the big black box with a shining picture of a pink dildo on it and the bright inscription 'Healthy Vibes', 'The Happy Rabbit', '8 inches, vibrating'.

   I glare at him murderously, brightly red as fresh watermelon, and turn on my heels, heading towards the car, dragging mercilessly Mozart behind me.

   "Bunny, wait!" Avery shrieks. "It was a surprise. We don't have to use it."

   Oh, my God! Why can't he just shut up and walk?

   "Can we buy one too?" I hear Bobby's hesitant question, followed by a vibrant slap.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 44.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting!

What do you think about Avery's surprise? 😀

Will Casey be able to forgive him easily about this situation?

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

See you in next chapter.

Love: Anny