I Love You

Yuzuru quietly unlocked the door and found Anya sleeping on the sofa with the TV running, the flashing images lighting up her peaceful face.

He took off his shoes and kept the TV on, hoping it will drown the sound of his steps as he crept into the bedroom and took out his big suitcase in which he moved in a few months ago.

He opened his drawers and started to pack, putting all of his things into the luggage and feeling like he is robbing the place.
Once done, he put his Jane Eyre book on top of his clothes, for a moment opening it on the page where he kept the picture of Anya and himself from last year, the blue string sliding out. He played with it for a moment in his fingers and then rolled it back in, closing the book, closing the luggage, and closing a chapter of his life.

Yuzuru went back to the living room, like so many times before lifted Anya off the sofa, and for the last time, carried her back to bed.

He wrapped his arms around her, Anya just mumbling something in her sleep, and he pressed his nose into her hair, doing his best to remember that smell.
And as much as he knew she didn't like when he thought of her like a porcelain doll, she was just that to him. So delicate, with her skin so soft to touch. Something that was just his to protect.
It didn't take long and the warmth of her body and her shallow breathing brought him to sleep.

_________________

-Yuzu....

Yuzuru could feel her fingers going through his hair and immediately opened his eyes.

-Sorry to wake you up, it's only 6 am.....but....why are all of your things packed? Are you....are you...moving?

Anya's voice broke and she quickly tilted her head backwards to keep the tears in.
Yuzuru opened his mouth, but suddenly all of his words were gone.

-Why would you move, Yuzu? I changed the schedule..... I have now plenty of time for both of us.

She looked back at him, only seeing him suppressing his own tears, but doing a better job at it than she was. There was a grave, wounded expression in his eyes.

-What's.... going on, Yuzu?

He still didn't know how to say it and just pulled her down into bed next to him, taking her hands into his. He then rather stared on their intertwined fingers than into her scared eyes.

-Anya....I know....that you quit with the physics.

-Oh....I was planning to tell you after the trip.... I just knew that you wouldn't take it well and didn't want to ruin the weekend for us.

Yuzuru was still silent and Anya continued, still not sure why would he pack his things because of it.

-Yuzu....even if you move out, it won't give me that much more time to focus on the school properly. It just didn't work out, but it's fine. I really don't mind. You are more fun anyway.

And she flicked his nose, hoping for a smile but Yuzuru still kept staring at their hands. And when he finally spoke, it was more of a whisper, his voice constricted with agony.

-Anya...I know that moving out wouldn't change much.

-So.... what are you doing?

Anya blinked few times and then sharply gasped, releasing her hands from his hold as the thought crossed her mind.
She quickly got up, pressing her back against the wall.

-No, Yuzu!! Just....NO!!!!

Yuzuru just lied there, staring at the place where she just lied, not having the strength to look up at her.
Meanwhile, Anya started to realize that the horrible thought she had was true.
She knew Yuzuru so well at that point, that anytime she opened her mouth to say something, she could immediately hear what he would answer. She was replaying in her head every single possible thing she could say, any scenario she could go with to change his mind but all of them were ending up as dead-ends.