The String

Few more days passed and it was time for Anya to definitely make up her mind about joining Yuzuru in Japan. Yet when they finally got to the talk, it was Yuzuru who took the first word.

-I don't want you to go, Anya.

-What?! Why?

-Taking aside the fact that you would be most of the time just stuck in the house anyway, while I would be running from one meeting and interview to another....You also have a lot of your things to do back in Canada. And your sick leave will be ending soon. So use the last few days to sort out the schools you will be attending.

-I can't believe you are the one being reasonable and it's me, who doesn't like it.

-Do you honestly want to go to Japan over Canada?

-You know very well that the answer is no. But I also want to be with you....and if that means spending two weeks in Japan and postponing some of the work I have back home, it's fine by me.

-But it's not by me. You always keep postponing everything to make others happy.

-This would make me happy.

-I decided. I would really prefer if you would go back and already start the preparations for your studies.

-Fine.

-Good.

Anya sighed and fell onto the sofa, her face almost pouting. She knew that everything what Yuzuru said was reasonable, she really had a lot to do back in Toronto, but she absolutely hated the idea of not being near him....again.
Yuzuru sat down next to her and took her hand into his. He was proud of himself that he managed to suppress his own selfishness to have Anya with him in Japan and rather put her studies first. He really wanted to make their relationship work without Anya sacrificing her own dreams, which she was so used to do. Now it was his turn to be the reasonable one and not let her choose to spend unnecessary time with him when she had so much to do.

They sat there quietly, both lost in their own thoughts when Yuzuru suddenly got up, pulling Anya with him.

-I got an idea! Dress up! We are going out!

Anya frowned but didn't say anything and went to put on her new, Yuzuru's ex-jacket and her own black baseball cap and face mask. He masked up as well and they left the hotel together through the back entrance.
As soon as they were out, Yuzuru started to google something on his phone.

-What are you looking for?

-A fabric store.

-Heh? Why?

-You will see.

Yuzuru smiled as he saw there is one not that far and took Anya's hand for a nice afternoon walk of their last day in PyeongChang.
As usual, Anya was leaving the conversation topics up to Yuzuru but he was mostly quiet himself, just enjoying the walk and her presence next to him.

When they entered the store, they both chuckled a bit, seeing the expression of the cashier as the way they were dressed, she thought they came to rob the store.
To the cashier's relief, they didn't take out guns, but the guy just took the girl's hand and led her to the back section filled with all the ribbons.

-Please pick as many ribbons as you like here while I look for something.

-What are you looking for?

-You will see.

And he gave Anya a mischievous smile. She smiled back at him and went with her eyes over all of the colorful ribbons on display, wondering which colors and shades are missing in her collection.
She picked fourteen different ones and then went to look for Yuzuru, just to find him mindlessly staring at a big row of various strings, scratching his head.