10 - Not In Heaven or Hell

Start from the beginning

Until he saw Gabriel.

And next to him, a blonde haired, blue eyed angel, with wings as white as the soft feathers of a dove, and skin pale and smooth. His little bow tie did not fit the war, and did not seem to match the violence the flaming sword in his hand portrayed.

Crowley suddenly found the ground to be in need of his utmost attention. Beelzebub grinned at him, an action he did not return.

"Oh, perk up. Pull your crap together, will you?" They snapped, "This is going to be fun."

"How many will die?" He asked instead, steering his focus away from Aziraphale. Beelzebub snorted and rolled their grey blue eyes.

"Who cares? This is war. Kill or be killed, Crowley." They picked at their nails, then smirked at the arch angel leading Heaven's army.

"Why must we fight?" Crowley found himself asked, though he had previously made a mental note to stay quiet.

"You cannot be serious. We're demons, Crowley! We have every right to reign victorious over the snobby angels of Heaven."

Crowley bit his tongue, unable to find that smart ass way of speech he once possessed. It seemed as though the moment he had bowed to her, he had lost it. Behind them, too many demons to count readied their weapons, cheering on the war. Gabriel and Beelzebub stared at each other, smiling wickedly. As though they had some sort of secret communication that would most definitely end in the world burning.

"Demons of Hell, Follow me!" Beelzebub's voice boomed around the streets, their battle cry giving birth to the official start of the very last war. Still, Crowley's eyes rested on the angel next to Gabriel.

It took all of his self restraint not to rush over to Aziraphale and throw his arms around the angel as the forces of Heaven and Hell collided, black and white feathers mingling. Explosions went off, the sound ringing in his ears. Arrows whizzed past him, surly dipped in poison. His heart caught in his throat as he dodged out of the way. He snapped his fingers, illuminating that small flame of magic. Across the clearing, he could see two figures, one standing down and the other tall and confident.

"I told you you had to get in shape, Aziraphale." A snarky male voice said coolly. Crowley titled his head up towards the voice, pinpointing Aziraphale and Gabriel standing in the middle of a fury of swords and fire. Light flashed and sparks flew as the two fought side by side, Aziraphale out of breath. Gabriel had no issues.

"You're a failure. No wonder your demon friend no longer loves you." Gabriel taunted, and Crowley could see his Angel's eyes watering as he took off, flying away from Gabriel.

When the silver grey jacket caught his eyes, Crowley snarled. He shot forward, opening his wings. The archangel whirled around, and Gabriel's violet eyes gleamed with excitement as he spotted Crowley.

The demon lunged for Gabriel's throat.

"How dare you!" Crowley hissed, "I'll kill you!"

Gabriel swerved away from Crowley's blow, spinning his sword and missing Crowley's left wing by inches. The demon's face was twisted with rage as he leaped onto the archangel, shifting into his snake form and coiling around Gabriel's throat. The angel clawed desperately as Crowley's sheen scales, the snake leaning forward to Gabriel's ear.

"Y-ou still think you p-protect him?" Gabriel wheezed.

Crowley cursed Gabriel, the most vile words he could muster. His voice came out raspy as a serpent, the words dissolving into the cries of the war. He snapped at Gabriel, sinking his fangs into his shoulder.