Chapter 72

Distracted as I am by Adam's sudden death, I don't notice the Griever behind me swing an arm towards me. The metal crashes into my back. I'm lucky it wasn't a sharpened blade that hit me, but the force still sends me flying forward over the body of the Griever I just killed.

My sword clatters on the stone towards the edge of the Cliff. I hadn't realized I had gotten this close in the fighting. I scramble forward on my hands and knees, trying to catch the weapon before it falls.

I don't reach it in time. There's silence as the sword tumbles over the edge. Then something above me whirrs.

I roll onto my back, and a spiked arm of a Griever stabs down where I just was. I'm staring up at its body, hemmed in by its legs.

I tuck my feet in, and kick one of the legs with as much strength as I can. The Griever tilts, losing its balance slightly.

Then a painfully familiar blond boy throws himself against it, using his weight to shove it off the Cliff.

"NEWT!" I yell, terrified that he's going to fall. If he doesn't make it into the exact dimension of the Griever Hole he'll die, and-

Newt manages to catch his balance on the very edge of the Cliff.

Then, suddenly, silence crashes into our world.

The Grievers power down.

We won.