Chapter 9

Although we have to stay away from the Homestead so that we don't wake up the sleeping Gladers, Newt and I end up staying awake for the rest of the night. He gives me a tour of the Glade – the fields, animal pens, Nick's dog Bark that lives in the barn, and various outbuildings – as well as explaining some more of their way of life.

The wooded corner that the graveyard is in is called the Deadheads, and a small, short building I'm not allowed in is the Maproom. Newt can tell that I'm instantly dying to go inside and examine the Maps, but I don't bother asking. He's too dedicated to the rules to allow that.

"Sloppers clean things and make sure the Glade is spic and span. Chuck is a Slopper. They're the ones who aren't fit for much else. Baggers deal with dead bodies, and any guard duty that needs done. Most of the guys have more than one job. Med-jacks take care of injuries, which are generally a result of the Builders or Slicers hurting themselves on their jobs. Clint's a Med-jack, you'll like him. Gally is the Keeper of the Builders."

"Do you have showers?" I ask. Especially with the Runners exercising so hard, I hope they do.

Newt chuckles. "Yeah, behind the Homestead there are a couple structures that count as showers. They don't work very well, and might fall apart if we ever got wind in this place, but so far they've been enough."

"It's a nice place, all things considered." I look around. They've put an incredible amount of effort into the Glade, and the teamwork seems to be fluid.

"Hey, Newt. Greenie. How's the morning?" a voice calls. I can see Newt grin as we both turn towards the sound.

"Minho, nice to see you. This is Ash."

"Yeah, heard about her. I'm Minho, Keeper of the Runners."

Minho is muscled and his eyes are critical, but I can tell he's a survivor. I lift my chin in a sharp nod. I want to tell him that I want to be a Runner, but I'm not sure how he'd respond. It's probably safest to keep my mouth shut.

"Having fun hanging out with Newt?" Minho teases when he realizes I'm not going to answer. He's smirking, and I match his expression.

"Daycare's quite nice here, I'm impressed."

Newt gives a yelp of protest. "Don't call me your babysitter! I think most daycares don't have to worry about if their charges will kill them."

"She's that feisty?" Minho gives me a skeptical look.

"Let's just say that if you didn't need them for being a Runner I might break your kneecaps for that comment."

"There's your answer." Newt's eyes look rather forlorn. "I've been stuck with her for half the night."

I grin at him, and he smiles back. We may tease each other, but I know that we've both enjoyed hanging out.

"Well, the others will be up soon," Newt says as Minho heads off towards the kitchen to get his supplies for the day. "Do you want to shower before then?"

"Yes, please. Do you happen to have a change of clothes?"

"Let me do you one better – you can have two changes of clothes. Each Glader gets about three different sets of clothing in case they make a mess of two of them before they can get the first one cleaned up."

"Oh, goody," I say sarcastically. "How could I live without two extra outfits?"

He chuckles and pushes me towards the Homestead.