Chapter 40

(epic song today~)

After lunch we finish scouting section three. Minho makes sure to show me the time we need to turn around so that we make it back to the Glade in time.

"You two are fast, so you should be able to do a whole section in time, but it's more important that you turn around by this time than when you finish exploring," he explains.

"You can't afford to lose Runners," I say, and he nods.

"Exactly. Not being able to finish searching a section is fine compared to being down a Runner."

I'm tired, but still able to keep up with the others as we run back along our path towards the Glade. As we go we kick aside the vines we had left to mark our trail.

I end up leading, following the route I've already memorized.

It's peaceful, in a weird way.

"Are there Grievers in the daytime very often?" I ask, and the other two glance at each other as we turn a corner.

"We actually saw one yesterday," Minho says, slowly. "But not usually."

"We followed it," Thomas says, "but it disappeared near the Cliff."

I frown thoughtfully. I'd told them what I had discovered about the Cliff, and we'd explored it earlier in the day. It definitely is a dropoff, but there are invisible walls on each side.

"There's something weird about that Cliff."

"Yeah."

We run in silence, nearing the Glade.

When the Doors come into view, I can see Newt standing by the fields, watching for us.

I slow a bit as we approach him, but Minho just high fives him and keeps running.

"Maproom, Ash. Come on!"

Going a bit faster, I catch up to them by the time we reach the low building. Minho gives me a sheet of paper to draw out the Map, and he works with Thomas to see how much the boy remembers.

"Can I go now?" I ask, handing Minho my completed Map after a couple of minutes.

He glances at it, making sure everything is correct. "Yep. Looks good, Ash."

I ignore the compliment, and head towards the kitchen. It doesn't have anything to do with me if my brain is good at remembering pathways.

There's some food left out from lunch for the Runners, and I start wolfing some down at the nearest table.

"How was it?" Newt sits on the bench beside me.

I pause from eating. "I love running, Newt. More than anything."

"I thought you might." He smiles a little, but his eyes are sad.

"I hope you don't mind..." I say. I know he wants me to be safe, but I have to do this.

"If I did you still wouldn't stop. Don't worry. I understand, Ash."

"Thanks," I say, and I mean it. Having his support isn't necessary, but it is nice.

"Hey, guys!" Chuck comes running up as Thomas and Minho bring their dinner to my table as well. "It sure was boring without you two."

"It's nice to see you, Chuck," Thomas says, and he grins at the boy. It's rather sweet to see how much they care about each other. They feel more like family than anyone else in the Glade – except for maybe Alby and Newt.

"Hey, how is Alby?" I ask, turning to Newt.

He shrugs. "I think he's close to-"

"Newt! Where's- oh, hey Thomas! Perfect timing." Clint looks like he just sprinted from the front of the Homestead.

"What's wrong?" Newt asks, tensing up.

"Alby's awake. He wants to see Thomas."

"Well, come on," Newt says, motioning at Thomas.

"Newt... he only wants to see Thomas."

Newt stares at Clint for a long moment. "Well, too bad. I'm coming."

Minho, Chuck, and I watch them go.

"Think Thomas will want to finish his food?" Chuck asks, looking at the plate hungrily.

I snort. "Nice try, kid, but you weren't the one running all day."

"I guess not," he says, with a cheerful smile. Then his expression falls. "Do you think Alby is alright?"

"Of course he is," Minho says. "He got the Serum, and his Changing has been normal. He'll be fine."

Silence falls over us for what feels like ages until finally Thomas and Newt return. Their expressions are dark and grim.

It doesn't look like good news.