Chapter 70

(song!! don't forget~)

"We need to get them out of the way," Thomas says as we're all standing there, reeling from Alby's death.

"If we charge them and force them towards the walls-" Minho starts.

"Don't you two have a heart?" snarls Newt. "He just died, and you're-"

Minho turns on him. "Trying to figure out how to escape. Newt, do you really want his sacrifice to go to waste?"

"Min..." I can see Newt struggling, trying to bring sense back into his grief-torn mind. Then he nods. "Okay. Okay, I'm sorry."

Minho's eyes soften, and he nods. "It's fine."

Newt takes a deep breath, and I stand closer to him as Minho addresses us, brushing my shoulder against his in support.

"We're going to fight. This is our last chance. We need to push the Grievers towards the wall, make a path for Thomas and Teresa."

Thomas nods and speaks. "It's going to work. It has to work. I won't fail you."

Minho takes a breath, and sets himself in a ready stance. "Come on. Let's get this done with. Gladers, you ready?"

"Ready!" we say as one. I step up beside Minho, willing to lead the charge with him. If I don't have emotions, if I'm just blank and empty of fear like this, then at least I'll use it for something good.

"You ready?" he yells louder.

"Ready!" we shout.

"YOU READY?"

"READY!" I scream with the rest of the Gladers. We are ready. Ready to fight, ready to die.

"I'm right behind you, Ash," Newt says, and with that, we charge.