Chapter 15

That evening, Alby heads towards us after dinner.

"Come on, Thomas, let's go look at the goats," I immediately say, standing and leading him away from the tables.

"I think Alby wants to talk to us-"

"Exactly," I say, but before we can get far the leader catches up to us.

"Are you trying to make my life difficult?" he asks, glaring at me.

"Someone has to."

He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Sometimes I regret not throwing you off the Cliff."

"What's the-"

"Shut it, Thomas," Alby and I say at the same time.

"Well? What were you trying to find us for?" I ask.

"Tomorrow you'll start working with the different Keepers to see which job you fit into. Slicers are first, it's unpleasant but some kids like it."

I don't know what the Slicers are, but it doesn't sound good. I nod, though, and Alby continues.

"If you want to be Runners, I expect you to work your tails off no matter what job we give you. Oh, and Ash – Newt showed up earlier, ranting about how you shouldn't ever be a Med-jack. He seemed to think you'd put a bullet in all of the patients instead of helping them." His lips quirk in a slight smile. "Not that we have guns here. It's up to you, of course, but I'd recommend heading down to the fields and talking to him. I hate it when he gets in pouting moods."

"Okay," I say, smiling a little. I can easily picture Newt fiercely sulking in the corner of the cornfield, and the picture amuses me.

"Have fun," Thomas teases as I head towards the crops, and I glare at him.

"Shut up." 

His laughter follows me as I jog away.