Chapter 3

"This is the Homestead, by the way," Chuck explains as he leads us back towards the long wooden building. "Fry's kitchen is just behind it."

"His name isn't actually Frypan, right?" Thomas asks, and Chuck laughs.

"Nah, 'course not. He's our cook, though. Some of the boys help him, but he'd never let someone make food for all the Gladers without him there."

"Something tells me I'm not a cook," I mutter to Thomas. If they try to put me in the kitchen just because I'm a girl... I'll burn the whole kitchen down. On purpose.

The idea is surprisingly pleasant, and I stop paying attention to the other two for a moment as we enter Frypan's domain, fantasizing about flames licking up the dry, wooden walls.

"Earth to Ash," Thomas says, snapping his fingers in front of my face. I blink and look at him. "You were zoning out. Frypan said hi."

I quickly take in my surroundings. The kitchen is small, but fairly nice. Frypan is a boy with a surprisingly full beard for his age, and a mature expression. He seems to be tolerating our presence, but I get the feeling that he'd go after us with his kitchen knives if we tried to cause trouble.

"The Greenies are hungry," Chuck says.

Frypan sighs. "You can make some sandwiches. But just this once, Chuck." His tone is serious, but I have the sense that he's secretly fond of the boy. I don't blame him. Chuck is more youthful and vibrant than the others. I mean, compared to Alby he's joy incarnate.

As Chuck makes the sandwiches I go back to imagining fire; twisting, dangerous, beautiful. Chuck is the only one who talks as we eat, rambling at a hundred miles a minute while Thomas and I mostly ignore him in favor of the food. The injuries Gally gave me ache as I eat, but I ignore them.

"That was good," Thomas says, swallowing the last bit of his sandwich.

"Thanks," Chuck says with a lopsided smile.

Frypan breaks in. "Chuck, you should do the dishes while the Greenies figure out where they'll be sleeping." He looks up at us. "Newt should be around. He's generally by the fields at this time of day, he likes to say hi to Minho when he comes in."

"Comes in from where?" I ask, my eyes narrowing.

Frypan matches my expression. "I won't tell, so don't try me, Greenie."

"I'll figure it out."

"Sure you will. When Alby decides you're good and ready."

Clenching my teeth, I stride out of the kitchen to go and find Newt.